Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2012 04:00

Missing Stereo Mix? Inspiron 15R SE 7520.

Hi guys,

I am using Inspiron 15R SE 7520, i want stereo mix so that i can record sound from application.

I checked out "Recording device" option, enabled "Show Disabled Devices" and Show Disconnected Devices". But there is still no "Stereo Mix'. Just only "internal Microphone" show up.

even follow steps from http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/

I even tried reinstall driver.

but no luck

Btw, my audio is Conexant Audio HD.

I hope to hear from you guys. Thanks.

August 7th, 2012 01:00

Hi Jimco,

Thanks for the response!!! I finally found the solution!!!

Actually, i have to edit the driver to get the stereo mix. In my case, my driver file name is chdrt.inf

there is these lines that disable the stereo mix

;HKR,%EPattributePath%\EpSettings\StereoMixEnable,Enable,1,01

;HKR,%EPattributePath%\EpSettings\StereoMixEnable,MixAssocSeq,1,E0,E0

;HKR,%EPattributePath%\EpSettings\StereoMixEnable,MuteGainSettings,1,00,00

All you have to do is remove the semicolon, so it should be...

HKR,%EPattributePath%\EpSettings\StereoMixEnable,Enable,1,01

HKR,%EPattributePath%\EpSettings\StereoMixEnable,MixAssocSeq,1,E0,E0

HKR,%EPattributePath%\EpSettings\StereoMixEnable,MuteGainSettings,1,00,00

then save the file, reinstall the driver using "Browse my computer for driver software". I got the stereo mix baby!!! Whoah!!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 6th, 2012 06:00

The article you looked at is not entirely accurate. It does not not depend on the audio "chipset" or Windows 7. Whether or not a laptop has stereo mix depends on the audio driver. It depends on how the driver was written, its particular files. Of the many Dell laptop models, some of the ones with Sigmatel or Realtek drivers had or have stereo mix, and the models with IDT audio have Rec.Playback which is about the same thing as stereo mix. Not all had it because they use different drivers and some just left out that capability.

My knowledge of the Conexant systems is somewhat limited because Dell does not use it as much as the other ones. If it has stereo mix no one has ever mentioned it as far as I know. If you google How to get stereo mix on Conexant you will find that there is a hack available. That is a way to edit a file in the driver to allow stereo mix. I have no way of knowing if that will work on your model. If you try it let me know.

If you have to have stereo mix and you don't want to do the hack or it does not work, you might consider getting one of the models with Realtek or IDT. None of the new models have Sigmatel anymore because that company no longer exists.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 7th, 2012 04:00

Hello Rubber Soul. Thank you for verifying that that hack works!

For others who might want to implement the hack and need more instructions, google "How to get stereo mix on Conexant sound card solution" (without quotes) and the first result should be at http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Audio-Sound/How-get-Stereo-Mix-on-Conexant-sound-card-SOLUTION/td-p/174656

Go to the 1st page of that thread and scroll way down to the 15th post. The poster's name is AcrUsr and he found the hack. Keep reading that thread for more details from AcrUsr and screen shots.

10 Posts

March 10th, 2013 10:00

Just what I needed. Works fine for me too, thank you !

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 22nd, 2013 07:00

I tried. But my .inf file AM3PEza or oem25.inf  06/12/2009 4.95.25.51 does not contain the lines mentioned by AcrUsr. 

Somebody else had posted this tip:

Ensure you have the Conexant SmartAudio HD driver installed. You should see it under Sound, Video and Game Controllers in Device Manager. With the Conexant driver already installed and working the key is finding the exact location of the driver file. It might vary from one computer to another and also be called something else. Mine was called chdrt.inf and it was located in: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\chdrt.inf_amd64_neutral_fa34defac299c440

If you are not sure where your .inf file is located you could do a windows search for text in files of the string: EpSettings\StereoMixEnable. It will most likely be a file with the extension .inf and be located in a sub folder of the System32 folder.

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2013 07:00

I tried. But my .inf file AM3PEza or oem25.inf  06/12/2009 4.95.25.51 does not contain the lines mentioned by AcrUsr. 

No Events found!