Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2010 14:00

My Dell XPS M1530 won't turn on

Hi all,

I have a Dell M1530 XPS Dell Laptop, that won't turn on! Basicly it is a standard M1530, with the only modification being additional RAM. But the added RAM have been functional for about a year now.

The problem is:

The laptop turns on, but then there is no reaction. I can hear the computer being turned on, but nothing happens. The screen stays black, doesn't even start. I've tried to press all the buttons on the keyboard, but there is no reaction at all (sounds or lights)

When it happend:

I'd just been using the computer for about 15 mins, reading news and such online. I turned it of correctly, but remembered that I forgot to check my e-mail. (This was about a minute later). But then it wouldn't turn on again and hasn't for done since.

What i've tried:

I've tried to boot from CD - nothing

I've changed the BIOS battery - nothing

I've changed the RAM - nothing

So is there anybody that has any suggestions, that might help me?

1 Message

November 20th, 2010 04:00

I have the same problem - happened 2 weeks ago.

Is your system still in warranty? Even if it's not, if it's still within 12 months of the expiry date the Dell should still be able to help you.

See this article: http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/Direct2Dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

So if you your problem is a Nvidea Video Card problem and it is one of the affected units then you may be able to get it fixed.

I am surprised however to see that the problem was known in August 2008 and they still sold me my XPS M1530 in September 2008!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Basic troubleshooting:

Verify that the AC adapter is OK.  The LED must be ON before you plug in the notebook end.  If it's not, buy a new Dell adapter.

Further troubleshooting:

Remove the battery and unplug.  Hold the power button for 30 sec.  If the system will then power up, but won't with the battery - the battery is faulty.

If it won't power up, remove one memory module at a time and try each one until you find the faulty module and/or socket.

If you still get nothing, it's almost 100% certainly a faulty system board. 

3 Posts

Thanks, i've tried all that, so it probably is the systemboard:(

1 Message

May 23rd, 2011 07:00

I experienced the same issue yesterday.  If you read this, would you mind filling me in on how you resolved your problem?

3 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 08:00

My problem was that the motherboard in my Laptop was gone. So I needed to replace it and since that is one of the most expensive hardware parts, I just bought a new laptop.

No Events found!