Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2014 20:00

My Inspiron 17R SE 7720 stopped charging

Hey there,
 So couple of days ago my Inspiron 17R SE 7720 stopped charging the battery. Now it says that it is plugged in, not charging. So i went to the store and i bought another charger. Still the same problem. Is there anyone would know what is going on with my laptop? 
Thank you for your time, 
Hope to hear from somebody soon.
Cheers!

29 Posts

February 19th, 2014 10:00

Sounds like the battery

Contact dell and they should send out a replacement battery...after performing checks

94 Posts

February 20th, 2014 13:00

Is this a "Dell" charger? A substitute charger will not usually work on a Dell for some reason or another. If you did buy a Dell charger then the problem is the motherboard or the battery.

November 4th, 2016 13:00

We have seen this particular model several times in the course of our computer repair business.  They always have loose or broken power connectors and usually the laptop base is broken too, so the power jack is moving around.  Replacing the power jack is what will fix the "plugged in, not charging issue.  You will see a broken orange wire when you take out the old power jack, which was likely caused by the loose power jack.  You will pay about $15-$20 for the power jack on Amazon.

38 Posts

November 5th, 2016 11:00

What pertersonmip said. I am on my 4th power connector on my 7720; Dell replaced it once and I have two times. For some reason the power connector seems prone to failure. Also on mine the plastic post which the connector is screwed to in order to hold it in place broke off, so I used hot melt to secure the connector to the little shelf it sits on. The owner's manual will tell you to remove the motherboard to replace the connector but this is not necessary. The power connector plug on the motherboard is on the underside of the board which is why they tell you to pull the MB. However the plug is right on the edge of the MB so once you remove the keyboard and palm rest you can pull out the power connector and with a little fiddling you can easily replace it from the top side. It is a semi-blind install, but if you look carefully from the top side of the MB you can just barely see the plug on the underside of the MB.

The power connectors are around $7 on Ebay, here is the one I bought (twice). They ship pretty quickly and the wires are a bit longer than the original part which makes it easier to install from the to side. Just be careful where you route the excess wire so it does not get pinched when you reinstall the palm rest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141342175623

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 11th, 2016 13:00

If you haven't changed the adapter, that's next.  A mainboard replacement isn't inordinately difficult but it isn't inexpensive, either - $200-300 for the board plus an hour's labor.  On a system of the age of a 7720, that may not be a economic use of funds - you may be better off putting the several hundred dollars toward a new system.

6 Posts

December 11th, 2016 13:00

I have just replaced my power connector but it seems my laptop still doesn't recognize my charger unless I put it in about 10 times. I'm guessing my motherboard needs to be replaced. No idea if that's an easy thing to do.

No Events found!