Highlighted
Sosinondodrore
1 Nickel

My XPS 13 9360 (8th gen i7) won't go into sleepmode

I got my new XPS 13 (i7 8550U) last week and have found out that it won't go into sleepmode. The screen turns off and then nothing more happens, the power stays on. Sometimes it can turn off and then immediately come back on with just the fan running. 

I have tried multiple solutions found online, all ranging from power plan settings and checking powercfg in cmd to see if anything is preventing sleep. I even reinstalled Windows 10 yesterday so that i could rule out Windows as the problem. I have tried reinstalling the BIOS too. And i have checked that all driver are up to date both manually and with Dell's driver detection software.

Shutting off and hibernating works just fine.

I am running the latest Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709. 16299,19)

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

RE: My XPS 13 9360 (8th gen i7) won't go into sleepmode

Reinstalling Windows for me actually verified my problem was Windows.  Rolling back to the prior build showed it was the new build.

If you run powercfg /a what does the listing show.  You can copy and paste.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Sosinondodrore
1 Nickel

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /a

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected

Hibernate

Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep

Standby (S3) is not available.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected

Connectivity in standby is not supported.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Your system supports InstantGO.  What you see with power settings is different in that it does not have a sleep mode.  When the desktop goes dark, the system goes into a low power mode.  It does not shutdown or sleep.  If you want to check, do a search for Modern standby or Connected standby and you should find some YouTube videos by Microsoft.

The latest Win 10 build has caused problems for my 9365.  Currently waiting for Dell or Microsoft to provide s fix.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Sosinondodrore
1 Nickel

But i don't want it to behave like that, i want my laptop to go into sleepmode. is this a bug or is it supposed to behave like a tablet like it is now?

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

It is designed to do that but the fact it does not appear to work correctly, it is also a bug right now.

If you want to shut it down so the battery does not drain at 1-2% per hour while in low power mode, try opening an administrative command prompt and give the shutdown command.

shutdown /s

When I got my system, I had no idea what Connected Standby was or that my system supported it.  I went through the same discovery you are going through.  There are some folks who will supply a registry hack to give the system sleep mode but I suggest you not do that.

0 Kudos
Sosinondodrore
1 Nickel

Yeah i'm using Hibernate instead of sleep until they hopefully fix this.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Until whoever is responsible for this problem delivers a fix, you might prefer the workaround of disabling Connected Standby, which will allow you to use Sleep again.  This worked for a friend's XPS 13 9360 running Win10 1703 (Creators Update):

- Open Regedit

- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power.

- Double-click "CsEnabled", set it to 0, click OK, and restart.

- You should now be able to use Sleep

Sosinondodrore
1 Nickel

The regedit workaround didn't work..

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Strange, that worked for those exact symptoms on that exact system elsewhere, although that system was on Creators rather than Fall Creators.  Not sure if that matters.  You can try looking at the System log in Event Viewer after attempting sleep mode, because if some application or driver is preventing sleep, you should see entries about that.

0 Kudos