Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2017 07:00

My XPS 13 9360 (8th gen i7) won't go into sleepmode

I got my new XPS 13 (i7 8550U) last week and have found out that it won't go into sleepmode. The screen turns off and then nothing more happens, the power stays on. Sometimes it can turn off and then immediately come back on with just the fan running. 

I have tried multiple solutions found online, all ranging from power plan settings and checking powercfg in cmd to see if anything is preventing sleep. I even reinstalled Windows 10 yesterday so that i could rule out Windows as the problem. I have tried reinstalling the BIOS too. And i have checked that all driver are up to date both manually and with Dell's driver detection software.

Shutting off and hibernating works just fine.

I am running the latest Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709. 16299,19)

October 24th, 2017 08:00

But i don't want it to behave like that, i want my laptop to go into sleepmode. is this a bug or is it supposed to behave like a tablet like it is now?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /a

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected

Hibernate

Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep

Standby (S3) is not available.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected

Connectivity in standby is not supported.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Your system supports InstantGO.  What you see with power settings is different in that it does not have a sleep mode.  When the desktop goes dark, the system goes into a low power mode.  It does not shutdown or sleep.  If you want to check, do a search for Modern standby or Connected standby and you should find some YouTube videos by Microsoft.

The latest Win 10 build has caused problems for my 9365.  Currently waiting for Dell or Microsoft to provide s fix.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Reinstalling Windows for me actually verified my problem was Windows.  Rolling back to the prior build showed it was the new build.

If you run powercfg /a what does the listing show.  You can copy and paste.

October 24th, 2017 09:00

Yeah i'm using Hibernate instead of sleep until they hopefully fix this.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Until whoever is responsible for this problem delivers a fix, you might prefer the workaround of disabling Connected Standby, which will allow you to use Sleep again.  This worked for a friend's XPS 13 9360 running Win10 1703 (Creators Update):

- Open Regedit

- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power.

- Double-click "CsEnabled", set it to 0, click OK, and restart.

- You should now be able to use Sleep

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

It is designed to do that but the fact it does not appear to work correctly, it is also a bug right now.

If you want to shut it down so the battery does not drain at 1-2% per hour while in low power mode, try opening an administrative command prompt and give the shutdown command.

shutdown /s

When I got my system, I had no idea what Connected Standby was or that my system supported it.  I went through the same discovery you are going through.  There are some folks who will supply a registry hack to give the system sleep mode but I suggest you not do that.

October 24th, 2017 12:00

The regedit workaround didn't work..

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 24th, 2017 13:00

Strange, that worked for those exact symptoms on that exact system elsewhere, although that system was on Creators rather than Fall Creators.  Not sure if that matters.  You can try looking at the System log in Event Viewer after attempting sleep mode, because if some application or driver is preventing sleep, you should see entries about that.

9 Posts

October 25th, 2017 06:00

It's disappointing that while Dell lists the 9365 as fully supported for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, it's essentially completely broken as it relates to power management. Shutdown won't work, sleep modes not working as expecting.... It's clear that they never tested it. I even restored my laptop back from the factory image and updated everything all the way and made no other changes, and it's not working.

Dell Support so far has not been helpful and they've only asked me to change my behavior to accommodate the new "features."

9 Posts

October 25th, 2017 07:00

Unfortunately, unwanted features, yes.

October 25th, 2017 07:00

So it's a feature now that sleepmode doesn't work on a 2000$ laptop?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 25th, 2017 11:00

Not sure what's going on with shutdown not working as expected (again, maybe check Event Viewer if you want help diagnosing the problem?), but out of the box, the XPS 13 for the last few generations has supported Connected Standby.  That means that if you put the system to sleep by selecting it within Windows and keep the lid open, you'll notice that the keyboard will NOT wake it up -- as you would expect.  However, if you close the lid (or the lid was closed when you put it to sleep because it was docked, or you put it to sleep BY closing the lid), then just reopening the lid will wake it back up.  As a result, it can appear that the system was never actually asleep in the first place, but if you go to Event Viewer immediately after waking the system up and go to the Windows Logs > System view, look for an entry near the top with "Power-Troubleshooter" listed as the Source.  That log entry should say the system just woke up and show both the wake time and the time it was originally put to sleep.

Again, that's how this is SUPPOSED to work out of the box.  If your system is NOT behaving that way and you don't see the Event Viewer entry I'm describing, then if you scroll a few events down you should see an explanation for why the system did NOT go to sleep as requested.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 25th, 2017 11:00

In addition to the above, if you find that your system is going to sleep and then waking back up a few seconds later, do you maybe have a wireless mouse receiver plugged into a USB port?  If so, it's possible that a minor nudge on the wireless mouse itself may be enough to wake the system back up.  I haven't tested this specifically on the XPS 13, but that was an issue with some other laptops I've supported in the past.  The fix for that would be to disable "Wake on USB" in the BIOS.

9 Posts

October 25th, 2017 12:00

In my system, there is no attached hardware. The normal shutdown process does not work -- and it actually comes back to the login screen nearly immediately. Standby burns through battery much too quickly -- and one of the Dell Support suggestions was to reduce the time for hibernation triggering.

There is nothing in the event viewer that is helpful as it relates to the new problems that were introduced by the update to Fall Creators Update.

No Events found!