Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2016 13:00

My dell Latitude e5520 is stuck in a rebooting loop

Yesterday I transferred my old dell´s hard drive to my new one (it was the same model and same everything so i thought what could go wrong... sigh) beccause long story short the screen had some problems and it was already a bit old and very used. 

After the "trade" the laptop worked perfectly, i could watch movies and non of the data had been lost but after i restarted the computer it gave me error 0xc000021a and asked me to either troubleshoot and fix, contiue with windows 10 or restart. I tried troubleshooting 3 times but all 3 times it said it couldnt fix the problem. Then, i selected continue windows 10 to which it gave me a blue screen with a sad emoji face asking me to restart. I then selected to reset my computer since non of the files i had were irreplaceable. After getting to 66% it said it couldnt reset it and asked me to reboot and so i did.

After rebooting, it wouldn´t even load (what i think is) the bios. After showing me the dell loading screen it´d go black and a little white "_" would appear in the left top corner for half a second and then it´d repeat the process. 

After 3 reboot loops i pressed f12 and it gave me a few options. I clicked the troubleshooting one (or something lke that) and after 5-10 minutes it said everything was working well (yes including the HDD... which made me very confused...). 

In the same f12 menu i then clicked internal HDD (under legacy boot) which just caused the loop to continue as if nothing.

In the next f12 i clicked Bios setup and under system logs, the only bios related thing is bios events which only says batter low or battery critically low

After some googling, some people suggested that i should try reinstalling windows 10 or using a cd for whatever... I have non of those CD´s, i think i lost them...

Sorry for the long post but i´d be very thankful if you could help me with this.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 21st, 2016 15:00

Run the extended test on the hard drive -- including a full surface scan.  It'll take a couple of hours to complete, but will likely show a dying hard drive.

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 00:00

Hey, thanks for the reply!

How do I run that test?

If it does indeed show a dead hard drive, is it possible to repair it (in an IT place or something) or do I have to buy a new one?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 22nd, 2016 04:00

Press F12 at powerup, boot into the Dell diagnostics and let the quick tests run (10-15 min).  Then boot into the 32-bit diagnostics from there and run a full surface test on the drive.

If the drive returns a failure code, it needs to be replaced.  Hard drives are not repairable.

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2016 14:00

Alright I did as you said and it said everything worked fine. I then run thorough tests on hard drive and it said it all worked fine and same with OS directory or whatever it was called.

So if the HDD is fine, I have no clue why it does not work...

No Events found!