Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2016 11:00

My laptop gets shut down automatically when the power cord is removed

Hi,

I have inspiron-15 N5010 model laptop. these days I have observed that after charging the battery, when I remove the power cord the laptop gets shut down on its own. can anyone help me with the issue please.

October 15th, 2016 11:00

hi,

I have inspiron-15 N5010 model laptop. These days I have observed that the laptop gets shut down automatically when the power cord is removed from the laptop. The battery works fine but after charging it and removing the power cord the laptop gets shutdown. I tried removing the battery and checking for the bent connections etc. Everything is fine. Can anyone help me with the issue please. 

2K Posts

October 15th, 2016 16:00

Hi AILNENI SAITEJA,

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed?

Based on your description, I would suspect the battery might have reached the end of its life.

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable).

Test with another good known battery and check. If another battery also exhibits the same behavior, then try another power adapter. If not, then change the dc port - this is the part you would need - http://bit.ly/2dF1Qlo

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

October 15th, 2016 23:00

Yes Sir,

I am using the original DELL OEM adapter. And  the adapter stays firm.It is in very good condition. But I would say YES, The battery might have reached its end of life cuz its strength has decreased.

October 15th, 2016 23:00

Sir,

I even checked BIOS adapter settings. Always it stays ENABLED only.

October 16th, 2016 00:00

And it gets shut down after about 5-6 seconds of removing the power cord

October 16th, 2016 00:00

and it gets shut down 5-6 seconds after removing the power cord

28 Posts

October 16th, 2016 01:00

Does it shut down like you see "Shutting Down" on the screen or does it just shut off and then at which point when you turn it back on would give you a message telling you that Windows was not shut down properly.  If it is just shutting off, then it is most likely for sure the battery, if it's shutting down first, it could still be the battery but it's just not able to hold a charge long enough to keep the computer running so it shuts down.  When you plug it in to charge the battery, how long does it take before it tells you the battery is fully charged?  It's most likely the battery, but there could be some other underlying issue that might not be charging the battery, but I would be first to sway toward the battery.  If you get into BIOS there should be an option there in regards to battery status.  You can let the computer run a test on it and it will tell you the condition of the battery.

October 16th, 2016 03:00

It just shuts off directly without any notice or someting like "Shutting down"  

2K Posts

October 16th, 2016 11:00

Hi AILNENI SAITEJA,

Thank you for the update.

It most certainly sounds like the battery might be the cause of the issue.

Kindly test with another battery and check and I suppose that should work fine. Otherwise, as advised in my previous post, you could replace the dc port and if issue is not resolved, then the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!