Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2013 13:00

My xps 15z ethernet driver will not install its saying that "installer can't find Atheros AR81 Family Ethernet controller on your system"

i know this forum has to do with hardware but if anyone can help with this problem i would appreciate it alot i had to reboot my laptop and when i was installing a the drivers i reach the point of me installing the ethernet driver i would not complete installation and will always give me the message  

"installer can't find Atheros AR81 Family Ethernet controller on your system" 

i really dont know what this mean and how to fix it but i do know that i cant access the internet do to that one problem and it sucks so please can someone aid me in this problem 

1.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2013 14:00

Hi kemo2013,

Welcome to the community.

This error message would mean either you are installing incorrect driver or Ethernet card is not detected on the system. Kindly let us know the version of the windows installed on the system along with the screenshot of the device manager.

To ensure that you are installing correct driver please check the link below to download the Ethernet driver for your system:

downloads.dell.com/.../R296457.exe

If you have any further queries feel free to reply to us.

8 Posts

June 24th, 2013 11:00

Well it's the right driver I think cause I got it from the official website and also from the driver cd and the version of windows i have installed is windows seven home premium I can't get a screen shot of my device manager right now cause I need a new AC adapter but in my device manager the Ethernet controller is not there under the network section only the wifi device are there and I don't know why but I will try to get the screenshot and show u

1.5K Posts

June 24th, 2013 23:00

Hi  kemo2013,

Thanks for your reply. Kindly download the driver from the above site and let us know what happens when you try install the same.

Also, do we see any drivers in device manager with a yellow exclamation mark. Please let us know these details so we can advise you further.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

8 Posts

June 29th, 2013 17:00

i downloaded the driver of the link and i still receive the same message and here is the print screen 

1.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 05:00

Hi kemo2013,

Thanks for providing us this information. Kindly remove the Avast  firewall from the system and then try to install the Ethernet driver from the link mentioned in first post.

Also, download the Bluetooth application from the link below:

downloads.dell.com/.../YPYJF_A04_ZPE.exe

Please perform these steps and let us know the results, so we can advise you further.

8 Posts

July 5th, 2013 08:00

ok i deleted the firewall from the system and tried to install the Ethernet driver the same message  

8 Posts

July 5th, 2013 08:00

i dont have avast installed anymore but i turned off the window defender firewall and i installed the blue tooth driver but its still giving me the same message i dont really understand it could it be the OS

807 Posts

July 5th, 2013 09:00

This may help you with the yellow mark next to Avast! NDIS filter miniport. This may require you to re-install and use avast! as your security

forum.avast.com/index.php

This will solve the yellow marks next to Bluetooth Peripheral Device

1- go to device manager.

2- right click on "Bluetooth Peripheral Device"

3- select "Update Driver Software...".

4- choose "Browse my computer for driver software".

5- choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

6- select "Ports (COM & LPT)".

7- select "Microsoft" at "Manufacturer" list.

8- finally select "Standard Serial over Bluetooth link"

you may be asked to continue which you should do so.

After you have done all above, have another go at trying to install the ethernet drivers

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 5th, 2013 11:00

kemo2013,

Please continue with DELL-Sandeep P and Paul.

Did you install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

1.5K Posts

July 6th, 2013 03:00

Hi  kemo2013 ,

Thanks for providing us this information. After checking your device manager it seems ethernet controller is not even detected on the system.

Please check when you connect Ethernet cable do you see a blinking light on the Ethernet port. Also make sure it is enabled in BIOS . Kindly refer to the image below:

Also, let us know if have done a clean installation of Windows on the system or done factory restore on the system.

8 Posts

July 7th, 2013 07:00

well when i plug in the ethernet cable in the port i dont see it blinking and on the screenshot everything is enable as how it is on the pic but asking can a reboot help

8 Posts

July 7th, 2013 16:00

ok I was trying a reboot but im finding out with my battery problem I cant reboot due to some adapter issues but asking can I delete the drivers manually and reinstall them in the right order if that would work

1.5K Posts

July 9th, 2013 04:00

Hi kemo2013,

Thanks for your efforts. It seems network card could be corrupt and might require replacement. However, you can do a clean installation following the link below:

http://dell.to/15MYHsz

And then install drivers before installing any drivers following the link below:

http://dell.to/YyKehR

If this doesn't work as well then network card would require replacement on the system.

Please perform these steps and let us know the results, so we can advise you further.

No Events found!