Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2013 06:00

N5110 bototm base right side hinge broken

Hi All , 

i brought my laptop  N5110 in may 2012 ....since that my right hinge of the laptop is broken almost thrid time now...

is it the defect of the product?

this thing first happened in first month only may 2012 when i just brought it .....i asked for a new laptop but then they just given the part replacement...

Really disappointing ,,,,,,..............not sure if i really recommend for Dell to anyone ....:emotion-6:

8 Posts

September 9th, 2013 22:00

any one to discuss this problem?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 10th, 2013 05:00

If only one hinge is breaking, are you correctly opening and closing the screen (using both hands)?  Using one hand can over-stress one of the hinges and cause it to fail.

3.3K Posts

September 10th, 2013 11:00

Hi dell_n5110,

Thanks for contacting us and bringing your concerns to our attention.

I sincerely regret any difficulty you have experienced while trying to resolve your concerns.

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Send Private Message.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

March 15th, 2014 10:00

I have the same problem with my N5110.  The right hinge has broken loose from the case.  This appears to be a common problem with this case as the right hinge fastener is not reinforced as well as the left hinge.  The issue is in the design of the rear components(usb, Ethernet, etc) adjacent to the right hinge which allows for minimal case structure to support the amount of torck on the hinge when the laptop is opened.

I have two other Dell laptops which do not have this problem.  Newer laptop models have better reinforcement for the hinges and the auxiliary component connections are now on the side of the laptop vs rear.

Dell should recognize this as a defective design and provide a permanent solution to resolve

8 Posts

March 17th, 2014 07:00

Hi John,

I had lot of fight over with Dell person But they are not agree on this point that its a Design Fault...

Rather than just going for fight with them , i reached to a local vendor who fixed in 1500 Inr by doing Fabrication. Where as Dell is charging around 7000 for changing the Bottom base.

Go for fabrication rather than changing the part from Dell if you are out of warranty.

Very poor response from Dell after warranty is over and Quite Expensive rates, for which service charges additional.

As i said earlier , Now No more Dell for me my family and my friends...NO RECOMMENDATIONS for DELL.

Thanks

Kunal

April 7th, 2014 07:00

HI ,

I am also facing same issue with Dell N5110 Model Laptop . Now It is very difficult to close and open the laptop. Looking for a solution

Regards,

Nevil

1 Message

April 17th, 2014 14:00

Hello,

I have faced this same particular problem twice with both of my hinges. First the right hinge came out which i got it repaired under warranty and the second time the left side hinge came out but had to pay the second time. Probably, after reading other comments, i suppose the problem is with the design of the machine which makes the hinge come out. And, to be specific its definitely not because of rough use as i have handled my machine quite delicately after the first incident but somehow the other one broke too. 

April 20th, 2016 00:00

So collectively what I see is it is a problem with manufactured design and not of user. So Dell should have come out with a permanent solution of this. Dell should provide support to all the old buyers who are facing this manufacturing design problem and compensate them, otherwise this is a very bad image of Dell in the market. Word of mouth publicity is a great thing and we, if not provided with any solution, will go against recommending Dell to anyone. Till now I recommended 5 people Dell laptops but now, after discovering this problem, I will refrain from doing this. I will tell them not to buy any of the Dell products.

8 Posts

April 20th, 2016 00:00

I was just Laughing like anything when u said dell should provide support for the old customer.....its of no use as dell least bother about it as they have many customer and they wont be affected if one or two customer like u and me are stopped using dell products.They will never accept its is design issue.....

it was agreed by one of the Dell service person who came to fix my hinges, he said its a common problem of this model. 

Dell should go through the number of bottom base changed for this model since it is launched....then they can classify if this is a design issue or user issue. the last reply form dell person on this issue,they are suggesting for local vendors....

one of my relative is using the said laptop..he got it fixed by fabrication form a local vendor and its broken again....and he is using it as it is...

i just STOPPED recommending people for DELL...thats what i can do max....dont want my friends and relatives to suffer like me.....

Go for HP or Lenovo..if you are planing to scrap the dell one and purchase new one.......

Thanks

kUnal

8 Posts

April 29th, 2016 00:00

Hello all

Somehow i  am able to fix it , all you need is two screws with same size of laptop screw and 15 MM in length. i got it from a local laptop repair center just for free.

Step1 open the front panel so you can see the screws attaced to the screen as shown below. take help form you tube on how to open N5110 lapotop

now tight these screw properly 

Step 2 : now close the laptop lid and then on back side remove the screw which holds the hinge,

and replace it with 15 MM long screw with a Visor .( i made it with a metal round and making a hole in it)

now just properly tight it and if required add some packing of rubber.  the screw can be seen like below whcih you can cover with a sticker.

you can press from front side (step one screenshot) to check if the screw from back is properly fit or not.

now this fixed my problem for now...lets see how much time it can work...my cousine is happy to see it as it made the laptop working again and saved his few Ks 

hope this trick will help others too.

thanks

kUnal

May 6th, 2016 22:00

Hi kUnal can you please give me your number, mine is <ADMIN NOTE: Phone number removed per privacy policy>, Amit, i need help on this hinge issue

No Events found!