Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2017 11:00

Need Help With Dell Windows 7 Partition

Hi, I'm looking at buying a refurbished Dell Windows 7 laptop, was under the impression that the hard drives were partitioned such that the Windows 7 OS was in a smaller 50 GB C: drive, and that the D: drive contained the rest of the drive's space for all the programs I want to install.

Can someone here please let me know if this is true; or whether the hard drive is partitioned (like my current HP) with a large C: drive with Windows residing on it in it's own Windows folderas well as including ALL the data/program space available, and only a D: drive for Windows repair reboots (VERY small)

Thanks for any insights and information.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 15th, 2017 16:00

Unless someone ordered the system with a custom partition scheme, it'll come with a single large C: partition.  Depending on how the refurbisher set the system up, the hidden recovery partition may or may not still be present -- but that is not the Windows partition. It's just a recovery partition for restoring the system back to factory configuration.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

November 16th, 2017 04:00

If that doesn't suit your needs, there's nothing to stop you changing the partition sizes:

www.dell.com/.../partitioning-your-hard-drive-in-windows-7-without-formatting-the-whole-drive

2 Posts

November 16th, 2017 06:00

Thanks to all! :)

No Events found!