Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2010 10:00

New DELL XPS 15

Hello, i m about to buy the new XPS 15 (http://www.dell.com/xps) and i ve read some reviews that talked very bad about this computer.

Can someone who have already purchased it recommend me about this product? It seems great and the specs are awsome but i can´t go and see it cuz i m not in the states right now.

Thanks in advance

7 Posts

December 1st, 2010 18:00

From what Ive found while researching and doing side by side comparisons with my old xps laptop, the new xps 15 appears to have a display which uses "static dithering".  It looks awful.  Im not sure if I can download firmware or drivers to update it, but none are present in the support downloads area.  I dont think theres an option but to return it, as much as it pains me. Its really subpar but this lcd should not be sold on a higher end dell line.  It makes my eyes hurt. 

Id go back and maybe reorder one with the 1080p monitor and cross my fingers, but at this time you can no longer configure the xps 15 with that option.  The option for 8gb of ram is gone too.  I dont know what to do, I tried really hard to get the exact config i wanted :(

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 00:00

From what Ive found while researching and doing side by side comparisons with my old xps laptop, the new xps 15 appears to have a display which uses "static dithering".  It looks awful.  Im not sure if I can download firmware or drivers to update it, but none are present in the support downloads area.  I dont think theres an option but to return it, as much as it pains me. Its really subpar but this lcd should not be sold on a higher end dell line.  It makes my eyes hurt. 

Id go back and maybe reorder one with the 1080p monitor and cross my fingers, but at this time you can no longer configure the xps 15 with that option.  The option for 8gb of ram is gone too.  I dont know what to do, I tried really hard to get the exact config i wanted :(

All you can do is call and complain your head off.  If you cannot get anywhere like that, try writing the BBB about your complaints.  Fact is, the 720p display is horrible, especially for 2010.  I haven't seen a display that bad in a decade or more.

19 Posts

December 7th, 2010 02:00

Well I received mine and I can only agree.  The 768 screen was terrible.  Not only is the quality very poor but the viewing angles are extreme.  Just fidgeting in your chair is enough movement to make the screen unviewable.  I rang and told them I would not keep it.  They agreed to take it back and I ordered the 1080 as a replacement.  Cross my fingures.  I had to pay the difference which is a pain as I would have done that in the first place if I could afford it.  But they will let me use this machine until the replacement arrives.  However indications are that this will not be until January.  Its not the most expensive laptop around but it is positioned as a premium machine.  They should not be using this screen.  There are alternative laptops that offer good value.

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2010 08:00

same problem with the 720p display.. worst monitor i have ever seen and now i don't kwok what to do to have it fixed...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19355925.aspx

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2011 13:00

I just received my XPS 15 (L501X) with the 720p display panel, and it really sucks!  The color is washed out and has an overly blue appearance / poor contrast.

I tried contacting tech support if I could get a replacement panel, but they wouldn't acknowledge it was bad.  They merely said it was to the specification of what I ordered, and if I didn't like it, I could return it.  I'd love to just upgrade to the 1080p panel, but those aren't in stock.  Since tech support wouldn't acknowledge there was an issue, it looks like I'll have to pay the 15% restocking fee, which I'm not looking forward to.

It stinks that my 'upgraded' XPS computer has a poorer display than my old Inspiron 600m laptop that I purchased 5 years ago.

If anyone from Dell reads this, I'd appreciate some help, because I haven't received any from the 1 hour phone call and 5 different support reps from today.

19 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 14:00

You can get the 1080 screen- you just have to wait for Dell to build one for you - about six weeks.  In the mean time u can use the machine u received.  This is what I did and i have recently received the new machine.  I still have the old one.  My contract had a 15 day right of return - no stocking fee. 

The 1080 screen is brilliant.  I wonder if there was a faulty batch of the 720 screens or if this is a marketing ploy to sell the more expensive full HD screens.  The viewing angle on mine was so critical that you could not sit next to someone using it and see what they were doing. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 4th, 2011 21:00

How do you get Dell to build you a 1080p model when this option isn't available on the site?  Do you just call their ordering dept and have them do it for you?

Also, were they the ones that authorized a no-restocking fee return on the prior laptop?  While 6 weeks is a fair amount of time to wait, I'd rather do that than be stuck with something I know I'll dislike for the next couple of years.

19 Posts

January 4th, 2011 23:00

XPS 15

19 Posts

January 4th, 2011 23:00

Sorry - I should have mentioned that I purchased from Dell New Zealand.  The - FHD (1920x1080) B+RGLED display with TrueLife™ [add $258.75] - option is available here on any of the XOS 15 laptops.  (That’s about plus $US190 including 15% tax).  It seems kind weird that we have this option and you don’t (I presume you are in the USA).  I assume from the long delivery times that production is under  pressure.

Maybe our returns policy is different also.  I just rang the phone number for Returns at the web site and said that the picture was unacceptable and I would not accept the machine.  We then agreed that I would pay the extra and get a replacement with the full HD screen.  There was no charge for freight (both ways) or re-stocking and I got to keep the original until the replacement arrived.  I asked how long it would take considering how long it took for the first order to arrive and they said 5-7 days but that must be a stock phrase.  That probably does not help you but since they are producing the screen somewhere why not ring them and negotiate. 

2 Posts

May 28th, 2011 06:00

i tink good laptop.  driverswin.com/dell-xps-15z-l511z-drivers-win7 new driver best performance

No Events found!