Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

November 4th, 2015 09:00

New XPS 13 9350 Screen Freezing Intermittantly

This new XPS 13 I have had for about 24 hours is suffering from screen freezes. The entire screen will freeze for seconds at a time, sometimes up to 10+ seconds, sometimes it doesn't unfreeze. It is freezing as I write this. At first I thought it was a problem with the touchpad because the mouse would jerk and hitch when I went to move it, but I realized shortly after that it was the whole screen that was hitching. Here are some things I've done and learned so far:

• The problem is not related to CPU temperature
  • The problem is not related to CPU utilization
  • The problem is not related to RAM utilization
  • I tried updating all the relevant drivers (audio, video, chipset, CPU) (unsuccessful)
  • I tried uninstalling all of the Dell bloatware (unsuccessful)
  • I tried disabling all of the Startup processes (unsuccessful)
  • I did a Windows recovery to the factory image (unsuccessful)
  • I "updated" the BIOS (the BIOS in Dell's support page is still 01.00.00) (unsuccessful)
  • I tried running Thorough Diagnostics on the computer through Dell's ePSA. The only thing that amounted from that was that it couldn't detect the hard drive, it didn't see one installed. The program may not be designed to recognize PCIe SSDs. (unsuccessful)
  • I tried booting in Safe Mode, and didn't notice any freezing - (successful?)

What should my next step be? A $1000+ laptop should not be having this problem.

1 Message

November 25th, 2015 11:00

I believe I've found a (the) fix today. In our case it appears to be the Intel 520 HD display driver, specifically the one that Windows 10 update installs. After installing a fresh Win10 image the freezing was present but as soon as I updated via Win update it went completely haywire. Intel have released a Beta on 20/11 which I've installed and after roughly 30mins of testing and a couple of restarts I experienced no freezes. Here are the steps I followed: 1. Download the Beta driver directly from the Intel site > downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- 2. Uninstall and completely remove the driver from Device Manager currently installed on the XPS (remember to tick the box!) 3. IMPORTANT! - you will most likely be prompted to restart so make sure you are disconnected from the Internet before doing so. You may want to disable your Wireless device in Device Manager BEFORE restarting. You do this because Windows update will simply reinstall the original driver once you restart and connected to the Internet at startup. 4. Restart and log on 5. Run the setup.exe from the Intel driver package you downloaded at step 1. It should install without error messages however if any are reported make sure you have the same hardware, ie the Intel 520 HD adapter. That's it. You will probably need to restart after the last step but hopefully this works for you. Cheers!

7 Posts

January 2nd, 2016 17:00

I received an XPS 13 (9350) with an i7-6500, 512GB SSD, 16GB DDR3, QHD touch, and Windows 10 Professional on December 31, 2015. I updated it to the current build of Windows 10 after turning it on.

Shortly after beginning to install my software, I began experiencing intermittent screen "freezes" but, more accurately, black screens and corrupted display issues. They last a second or two, then the screen resets. No error notification is presented (i.e. no indication that the video driver is bugging out). Many times, the mouse pointer is reset to the centre of the screen when this screen problem presents itself. I have also seen the Windows 10 blue screen three times.

While attempting to resolve this, I installed all of the latest drivers provided by Dell for my specific system.

The issue is with the Intel Skylake processor and Hyper-V. For me, anyway. Uninstall Hyper-V and the system, so far, performs as expected. Only...I use Visual Studio and the provided emulators, SO I NEED A FIX.

Beuller? Beuller? Beuller?

8 Posts

December 14th, 2017 13:00

I tried upgrade the following:

Intel HD 520 GPU Drivers from Dell Support site (21.20.16.4664) - Didn't work. I was still gettings sticky freezes randomly all the time.

Disabling Hyper-V - Didn't work for me

Dell Support - Didn't really help, only ran default tools to try and fix it, their next stage was re-install windows and i was not willing to do that just yet.

I just stumbled upon this post which says it related Intel RST

www.reddit.com/.../

Now, I'm now trying to re-install and upgrade the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Related to your Raid  SSD) i am trying now the one from Intel's website version 15.8.1.1007

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

I'll update here to say if that works.

UPDATE: 3hr of work and no random freezes. good luck everyone.

2 Posts

November 4th, 2015 11:00

I have had the same exact issues out of the box and have completed the majority of steps you outlined above.

Dell technical support had no solution other than running diagnostics and updating the BIOS. All of which were unsuccessful. 

Agreed, $1000+ laptop should not be having these issues 

1 Message

November 10th, 2015 22:00

Same here.  I noticed this happens mostly when browsing the internet which has streaming content.  Also the WiFi connection seems to stop working too and I need to disable and re-enable it from the device manager to work again.  These problems have to be ironed out asap cause it's making the laptop not productive especially for that price tag.

6 Posts

November 13th, 2015 19:00

Have both the Graphics driver freezing, and then Hard drive not detected issue on an XPS 15 with graphics card Intel 530 and Nvidia 960M. BIOS and graphic drivers being updated hasn't helped yet. Other forum posts indicate that this issue happened to their XPS laptops once they upgraded to Windows 10.

Also have the PCIe SSD, and the hard drive seems to work fine but the dell diagnostics says there is no hard drive. Definitely scared my wife on our brand new top of the line laptop.

2 Posts

November 14th, 2015 12:00

Same exact issue on brand new machine picked up from Microsoft store couple days ago.  Update all drives, bios, and Windows and still happening, but it is happening a bit less then the first day I got the computer. I'm still contemplating what to do as for $1400 should not have to settle for this.  Need a solution asap.  I am also having trackpad issues.  Need to find real drivers for component.

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 05:00

I have this issue too with xps 13 9350.  I also find it happens a lot with web browsing and doesn't matter which browser I choose (tried edge, internet explorer, firefox, chrome).  I have the QHD model with scaling on.  The driver error comes up constantly for catch of the day (an Australian website) - not sure what it is about that website that makes the error come up more frequent compared to other websites.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?  I keep hoping a windows 10 update or intel driver update will fix it, but I already have latest versions.

1 Message

November 25th, 2015 20:00

Thanks ANTONDOTNET!

I have had the same problems many have had on my newly arrived XPS 13 9350.

Your solution solved it!

Many Thanks!

2 Posts

November 26th, 2015 09:00

Awesome fixed for me too.  I was about ready to ship back to Dell so perfect timing!

2 Posts

November 26th, 2015 10:00

THX to AntonDotNet !!!

Just receive my new Notebook - xps 13, first time DELL. Unwrap, plug power in and start and ... wait and wait ...  and black screen and ... nothing happens, sometimes windows screen occures, sometimes touchpad works for a few seconds and stops working for more than a few seconds and leads to a necessary reboot or more than one reboot.

After 3 or 4 hours of frustration and regrets of buying a 2.000€ DELL computer (OK, seems to be an other windows 10 update problem to be) - your hint works!

THX, you make my day (or week :-)).

1 Message

December 8th, 2015 13:00

Why not just uninstalled the driver first?

11 Posts

December 10th, 2015 23:00

THX to AntonDotNet !!!

I had the exact same issue. As soon As I got my brand new laptop and started setting it up, I noticed intermittent freezes with screen and touchpad. Was frustrated and ready to ship. The driver update suggested by AntonDotNet did the trick. Thanks again.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 14th, 2015 11:00

Have you tried disabling bluetooth?

1 Message

December 18th, 2015 11:00

I tried the solution given by you. But still the problem doesn't seem to be solved.

Driver doesn't seem to crash that frequently, but now have this weird (display going off randomly) issue

No Events found!