Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 23rd, 2015 15:00

New XPS 15 (9530 - 512GB SSD) - does not wake up from sleep when lid opened if plugged in

Have had this laptop less than a month. Was working perfectly till yesterday. Suddenly, would not resume from sleep when the lid was opened - whether or not the power was plugged in. Long pressing the power button restarted windows but as expected an error message was in the event log "System did not shut down properly..."

Re-installed Windows 8.1 64Bit Pro from scratch - totally clean re-install. Now - goes to sleep without any problem.

However, on opening the lid only wakes up if the power plug is not plugged in.

If the power plug is plugged in the laptop does not wake up.

I am struggling explain this behavior.

It is extremely disappointing to have paid big bucks for an excellent laptop to be let down by this problem within a month. I suspect a hardware issue. But would welcome any suggestions. I am seriously considering returning this to Dell and looking elsewhere. I would think that customer support for products under warranty would be available over the weekend..but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have to wait till Monday!

All drivers are up to date and the latest BIOS updated (A07) is installed.

Many thanks.

July 20th, 2015 07:00

I decided just to set up my Notebook to go into hibernate mode when I close the lid, press the power button, or after 15/30 minutes of inactivity.  Hibernate mode seems to work fine.  With an SSD drive, it wakes out of hibernate mode pretty quickly (7 seconds or so), even with 16 gig of memory.

With sleep mode, I worry that any "work in process" will be lost if the battery goes dead - although sleep mode is supposed to go into hibernate mode and write everything to disk when the battery power gets too low.

Besides, if sleep mode keeps memory in a semi-powered-up state, then theoretically, hibernate mode takes less power as you don't need to keep a charge to memory.

I've also come to the conclusion that there is no perfect Notebook.  There will always be trade-off between processing power, display, battery life, features (like touch screen, which the Mac Book Pro doesn't have), etc.  

5 Posts

March 18th, 2016 05:00

Sorry, where is the update on DELL driver?

4 Posts

March 19th, 2016 16:00

Hi Guys

Finally 3 motherboards - and all internal other boards and plugs - and what I asked for from the beginning - a new power supply - and finally my machine since about Oct/Nov 2015 has been working FAULTLESSLY - dare I say - dare I mention DARE I even breathe those words.

Actually NOT quite - keyboard spacebar doesn't seem to put a space in at odd times - an external keyboard fixes that at present.

Yep - faultless - sleep, hibernate, whatever - 100% not even a blip.

Hmmm - was it the power supply - perhaps - the replacement motherboards aren't new but rebuilt zapped ones I believe - maybe they fixed whatever was shakey - who knows.

Fingers crossed that woes gone.

drhg

March 20th, 2016 05:00

So this was the external power supply used to charge the notebook, and nothing internal or software related?  So sleep works for you regardless of whether or not the notebook is running on AC power or battery power?  

Strange

What solved the issue for me was upgrading to Windows 10.  My guess is that the new drivers solved the issue - for me, anyway.  It works great.  Close the screen lid, and bam, the notebook goes into sleep mode.  Open the screen, and bam, the system is where I had left it.  Nice.  

1 Message

April 13th, 2016 08:00

This simple fix worked for me, yet it will not wake from sleep when opening the lid, only when pressing the power button or touchpad. Good enough, its waking up so quickly, hoooooray ;)

8 Posts

July 30th, 2016 10:00

I can confirm that enabling "USB Wake-Up Support" works. The computer needs a tap on the power button to wake, but does so immediately and responsively, unlike before.

No Events found!