Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2010 07:00

No Break key on Studio Keyboard

==========================
I originally posted this tot the desktop forum and was told I should have posted to the laptop forum instead. So here it is
I have a Studio xps 16. It is missing a number of keys found on other Dell keyboards such as Pause, Break, ScrollLock, Numlock etc.

I am doing some software development on it and need to have a CTRL-Break combination to break into running code. On my Latitude the fn+Pause keys were the Break key so to get ctrl-Break I did CTRL+FN+PAUSE. 

There apparently is a registry entry that can be set to do scancode mappings

Computer\HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout\Scancode Map

but

• The Pause/Break key cannot be remapped. This special key generates a 3-byte
scancode, but the Scancode Map registry entry only allows for the remapping of
2-byte scancodes.

I called Dell Tech Support and they said to buy and attach an external keyboard ( !?!? ).

solution
Starting osk.exe and then holding down the CTRL and Fn keys and clicking PAUSE on the On-Screen Keyboard did the trick.

5.2K Posts

November 26th, 2010 08:00

Have you tried -c? How about Fn-Delete?

1 Message

September 23rd, 2011 04:00

Ctrl-C isn't likely to work???

Tried Fn-Delete - no go.

This is really frustrating - i've spent a small fortune on my XPS - and i have been really pleased with it - but there is no BREAK key. This means it's pretty useless - i really don't want to have to lug an external keyboard around.

Does anyone have an answer - there must be a way of simulating the BREAK key - there are so many software systems that need it.

5.2K Posts

September 24th, 2011 22:00

Try

If no-go, do a search on the web.

October 5th, 2011 15:00

Works as Ctrl - Break on XPS 17 running Windows 7

934 Posts

October 6th, 2011 07:00

There might be another solution with program "AutoHotKey".Writing the right(simple) code should make it possible to use just one key instead of using a combination of keys

http://www.autohotkey.com/

The general example below works with windows7/64bit - I don't have a program that requires the "Break" key otherwise I would have given it a try.....

1 Message

January 14th, 2012 03:00

Deel XPS 17 l702x

mapping: Scroll Lock -> Home, Pause/Break -> End

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,1d,e1,4f,e0,46,00,47,e0,\

5 Posts

January 21st, 2012 07:00

Try:

[Ctrl]-[Fn]-[F12] for Ctrl-Break

[Fn]-[F12] for Pause

[Fn]-[F5] for Scroll Lock

Hope this helps - worked for me on some other Dell models.

1 Message

January 31st, 2012 12:00

Hello Paul, 

At my Dell XPS 15 the combination  Ctrl-Fn-Delete does the trick. No external keyboard needed

Kind greetings from Austria,
Derk Jan 

1 Message

May 16th, 2013 16:00

I have an XPS L502X. I found that Fn+Insert works. I was able to pause/unpause the game in Company of Heroes. 

I've been looking for the answer to this for a couple years. I tried all the different key mapping software without success. Finally found it by just trying random things. 

Hope this helps. 

11 Posts

May 27th, 2015 12:00

Try 

CTRL + FN +S

No Events found!