Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2017 09:00

No Power At All

Hey guys, I have a Inspiron 15R 5520 and there is no power what so ever going to the pc...that I can tell.  No lights anywhere nothing.  Power adapter is fine as it works on other laptops also, light comes on, all seems fine with that.

The only thing I can think of after researching, is that the power-adapter port needs to be replaced.  Unless I do some real testing I think this is what I will change.  I have a MultiMeter but not very good with it.  It's a nice old laptop, in good shape.  Does anyone have any advice on this?

1. How to test it?

2. Where to get a new one?

3. And any other thoughts as how to proceed?

Thanks, Max

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

The part is this one:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

and the service manual is here:

blog.parts-people.com/.../

However -- if you never see the power LED on the system come on at all, the likelihood is that it's the mainboard which is bad -- not the DC jack.

2 Intern

• 

161 Posts

I see, thank you very much.  I'll need to Price the Mainboard, is that a plug and play, or is there some soldering to be done to replace that?  Definitely don't see any Power LED on at all.  Is it worth fixing?  Was this a good laptop?  Looks like a nice rig to me, and came with Windows 7, which is what I like.

I'm looking at the Manual and guessing there is a place to find the part numbers to search for these things?

Whoa, the motherboard is $249.95...hmm...where do I get the official Part Numbers, the Service Manual at that page?

Thanks ejn63

2 Intern

• 

161 Posts

February 5th, 2017 10:00

I see "look for the "original configuration" link" I did that a few days ago.  To bad, nice laptop.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 5th, 2017 10:00

You can access the original part number using the service tag (look for the "original configuration" link.  

$250 is a steep price for a system that's 4-5 years old, but the decision is yours.

2 Intern

• 

161 Posts

April 18th, 2017 06:00

Before I throw out this very fine laptop I would like to test the dc jack, can someone tell me how to do this?  I've searched the internet, but can't find a Test for this exact one.  I find many Repairs/Replacement video but none showing what I need to probe with my Multimeter.  I wonder if I take the jack out and plug it into the PSU, if the Light on the PSU goes out as it has been, that may tell me if it is bad?   That would indicate a Short in the Jack right?  This is one of the symptoms, the Led on the PSU goes out a few seconds after it is plugged in, but not on other laptops.

User1190

2 Intern

• 

161 Posts

April 27th, 2017 16:00

ejn63, I really wanted to fix this super laptop, so I did a little test that tells me that the MB is indeed the problem.  Now, I did what you said and looked at the  "original configuration" link" after entering the Service Tag, and I can't seem to find a MB or System Board there?  I can find these online but how am I to know for sure if I get the right one?  This one has an i5 in it, so that would be inportant, and I'm assuming the ones I see don't have a CPU in them, as they look to be removable.  This was a fine pc, still can't seem to send it to the crusher.  If I could find a System Board cheap that would be super.  This thing is in perfect condition and has Four 3.0 USB Ports! they don't make em like this anymore, at least not for the consumer, more so with Business class is where you would see stuff like this these days.

That "original configuration" link" is tough to make heads or tails of?  Some of the stuff is comprehensible and some isn't.

Most of the boards I see are expensive, but still don't know if I'm looking at the right one?

Thanks, user1190

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 28th, 2017 04:00

On the board itself is a number starting with DP/N or CN ....   that's got the board number in it.

There are really just two boards:  one with integrated video and one with discrete video.  Replace like for like for the easiest swap.  If you change from one to the other you'll also need a new heatsink assembly.

2 Intern

• 

161 Posts

April 28th, 2017 09:00

ejn63, thanks again, that's what I was afraid of after all the looking I did.  Didn't really want to do that as I just did it the other day lol.  Was hoping to get a price easily lol, so back to the Workbench for disassembly!  Again, the only reason I'm considering this is, it's like new, no scratches etc.

Thanks again, hope this is all worth it lol.  If I could just find one that's not all that expensive.

No Events found!