Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2017 11:00

No Warranty for laptop that has been in service for less than 60 days.

How can Dell not consider a serious overheating problem with my Inspiron 17 7778 2-in-1 a replacement option. I have less than 40 hours on it have been on the phone with tech support multiple times and it is currently in the "repair" cycle and I have been without my business computer for over 2 weeks while they authorized / sent the return box, entered in the system and diagnosed it. How does one contact someone at Dell with a level of authority to do something other than state that they do not really warrant their product they just give customers the run around.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 28th, 2017 04:00

Any product used for a purpose other than what it was designed for will perform unsatisfactorily.  If you purchase a Hyundai Accent and then proceed to use it daily to tow a large trailer, it'll break down in short order.

This system is designed for home use - web browsing, email, media viewing, etc.  It's not a high-powered system designed to be used with demanding Adobe applications for business purposes.  For that, there are plenty of options - starting with the 17" Alienware and Precision systems.  They can be purchased with next day support/service as well, making them candidates for what you need the system to do.  Of course, they also cost a few times with a consumer-grade Inspron 17 does.

You're not going to get the performance you need out of the system you purchased - there's nothing wrong with the system other than that you're using it for purposes its designers never intended.  Yes, it's a software issue - budget hardware rarely runs demanding software very well.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 27th, 2017 15:00

I have a 7779 for about a month and so far, no problems.  If it is getting hot, where is it getting hot?  If on the bottom, what area of the bottom?  Do you hear the fan running and is it constant or changing?

Latest Bios?  Did it ever not get hot since you have had it?

My System threw three BSODs the first hour due to a product registration utility, but stopped after the initial problem.

Have you checked your Processor speed/utilization and drive usage to see if it is being overworked?  Anything showing in Task Manger showing high CPU usage?

Any programs you use often?

3 Posts

February 27th, 2017 15:00

I had it for about a month, I was video editing in adobe and it continuously shut down, heated up at the back, but I also had it on a cooling table, and yes the fan appeared to be working. Tech support insisted it was a software issue, I went through all of the steps with the tech but they never mentioned the Bios, I found that online and then called back and got them to walk me through that upgrade. It worked for a while and then just quit again, it was close to battery needing recharge so I went to plug it in and it came up with a message and shut down, would not charge, would not turn back on, and while on the charger the battery / power area became hot. Contacted tech again and spent days trying to get them to replace it for fear it would be a hazard. They would only have it sent to repair. I'm down for 2 weeks with no answers. Very frustrating.

3 Posts

February 28th, 2017 06:00

IF that is the case, they should not advertise it as

Get more done. Faster: The Intel® Core® processor guarantees high-level performance so you can conquer your workload. Paired with the optional NVIDIA® GeForce® discrete graphics you can power through video edits and enjoy more detailed gaming without slowing down.

I don't do video editing 8 hours a day, just for projects and it couldn't get through 3 hours, and my old HP Pavilion can do without issue, actually my 8 year old HP laptop handles the work load. So not an excuse.

No Events found!