Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2016 12:00

No audio following some system updates

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I installed some new updates from the Dell support page (all newly released updates from the past ~10 days; I usually install newly released updates every week or two). If I remember correctly I flashed the new bios (A07), updated Dell Update, some digital Dell services and some more minor updates. Since then, the Dell Update app also found an audio driver update (however there is none I believe), so it installed something.

Since then the audio on my computer does not work. I tried restoring to before the driver updates, and it doesn't work. I now read somewhere that this might be as a result of the new bios version. I will try now to downgrade to A06 and see if it works.

Did anyone come across this issue?

Thanks

My computer: Inspiron 7359 2-in-1

June 27th, 2016 15:00

Hi,

Already tried that, didn't work. Will try to google other solutions...

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 27th, 2016 15:00

I am sorry to read that you are having this problem. The first place that I suggest looking is to make sure that the correct playback device is selected as the default device.  

Right click on the speaker icon on the task bar and choose playback devices.  You may have more than one device listed here, you should be looking for one named Realtek High Definition audio device.  

Select Realtek High Definition audio device  and click the "Set Default" button.  

Then click properties and the advanced tab. Click the test button, do you get sound?

While still in audio properties uncheck "allow applications to take exclusive control" and "Give Exclusive mode applications priority".

Now test your favorite music player and see if everything is working correctly. 

For further troubleshooting take a look at this sound troubleshooter from Microsoft

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 27th, 2016 16:00

Here is another document for more general audio troubleshooting.  So looking under playback devices where there anything listed and if so what devices.  Did none of them manage to produce sound when clicking on the test button under the advanced tab?

I will be sending you a friendship request in case you continue to have trouble.

TB

June 30th, 2016 02:00

Not sure how this happened, I gave up on this and just forgot about it. A few days later I booted up my laptop and now it's working... have no idea why.

Thank you for being so willing to help!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 1st, 2016 12:00

I am glad that it is working fine. Please feel free to post back here if the problem returns. 

53 Posts

July 12th, 2016 14:00

I have found that a cold boot works otherwise the driver doesn't install. I had the same problem as I was just rebooting and back to the same problem again.

July 12th, 2016 14:00

An odd solution but it works.
No Events found!