Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2016 07:00

No battery is detected

I bought a new Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series (5558) in October.  Since I received it, it indicates that "no battery is detected."  How do I fix this?

There was a forum post on this topic from 2008, but its content was unhelpful.

1.8K Posts

January 5th, 2016 15:00

Hi,

You may simply need to reset your BIOS to allow it to recognize the battery again.  To do that you enter System Setup (BIOS) and you should see an option to reset to factory settings.  Try doing that and seeing if it helps.

Here is an article from one of my co-workers on battery and AC adapter issues that has some more information about testing batteries, etc., that you may find helpful.  Check out that article, and especially the section on the battery self-test button.  

I hope these work but if none do help please PM me your service tag and I'll post some more troubleshooting steps that you can try.

Todd

3 Posts

January 9th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for your reply, Todd, but unfortunately resetting the BIOS didn't work.  It still says "no battery is detected."  The article you linked to out battery and AC adapter issues didn't address the specific problem I am having. 

It seems likely that my laptop didn't come with a battery.  How should I go about purchasing one for my Inspiron 5558?

3 Posts

January 18th, 2016 07:00

What kind of battery should I purchase for my Inspiron 5558?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 18th, 2016 12:00

All laptops come with an internal battery and an adapter for power and recharging. Turn the computer over and look at the place where there is a latch and the input port for the adapter w/ electric plug. That is the battery. Pictures are here in the manual--

Remove the power adapter from the wall and the computer and use the laptop without it. It is now running on battery. You should be running the portable laptop without the power cord frequently and recharge regularly by attaching the power cord/adapter. That makes it portable. It you never use it without the cord plugged in, the battery will still wear down eventually. Using the computer on battery and recharging when needed will allow the battery to last longer. 

Forgot to mention that you are under hardware warranty for a year. Contact Support if you need help. Batteries are usually warrantied for a year.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 18th, 2016 14:00

:emotion-2:

Update System Setup (BIOS) for a Dell Computer:

www.youtube.com/watch

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 18th, 2016 14:00

:emotion-2:

Please check the System Setup(BIOS) version on your laptop by typing msinfo32 into the Cortana search bar.According to your Dell Product Support page - Inspiron 5558), the latest version(BIOS) for your laptop is A09,updated Jan 12, 2016.

www.dell.com/.../advanced

No Events found!