Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

April 26th, 2013 15:00

No signal Displayport Dell Precision M4700

Hello:

1) I recently bought a  Dell Precision M4700 that has a Displayport, HDMI and VGA ports.

2) I also bought a Dell monitor U3011 that also has Displayport, HDMI and VGA port.

When I use VGA cable with VGA ports I am able to use dual (laptop screen and U3011).

But I would like to use Displayport to connect the U3011 to laptop. This setup used to work fine until yesterday.

Today I am not able to view/use my U3011 when I connect via Displayport (works fine with VGA).

How can I make laptop detect the U3011? The monitor says "there is no signal".

I don't have another laptop or monitor to troubleshoot the issues.

Here is what I did:

1) Upgraded the BIOS to A08

2) Upgraded NVIDIA Quadro K2000M Driver to version 9.18.13.1150

3) Upgrade other device drivers to latest releases.

Your help is much appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 26th, 2013 22:00

Hi katari,

If the monitor has driver’s disc, please install the drivers for the monitor.

If you do not have the disk please use this link to install the drivers for the U3011 monitor: http://dell.to/146JzDi

Click the above link, select the operating system, click Download file and install the drivers listed by following the onscreen instructions.

Try changing the input source to DVI by using the monitors “Onscreen display menu”. Refer this link: http://bit.ly/ZLAcno

Also please try a different Display cable to check if the problem is with the cable itself.

Kindly let me now the results.

7 Posts

April 29th, 2013 13:00

Hello Nikhil:

Thank you for answering my post.

As you suggested I installed the Dell Monitor drivers. But that did not help.

In addition, Dell technician replaced the mother board on laptop (to eliminate the possibility of ports gone bad).

In addition, we also found out that HDMI is also not working out. VGA is working fine.

I don't think both HDMI and Dispalyport cables are bad.

The two possible problems:

1) Some kind of software configuration on laptop.

Since the configuration was working until last week, I am not sure what could have been changed.

I double checked various settings, etc.

When we plug in the cables monitor wakes up searches and says no signal found. No activity is detected on the laptop.

2) Ports on the monitor have gone bad.

Katari

7 Posts

April 29th, 2013 14:00

I was able to use Dell Allienware (older laptop) and connect to the monitor using HDMI. The Displayport does not work with the Allienware.

The same monitor does not work with Dell Precision M 4700, as described in earlier posts.

This makes me think some kind of driver combination or configuration is causing conflicts.

Katari

7 Posts

April 30th, 2013 03:00

Hello Nikhil:

1) I did change the "input Source" to appropriate input source every time I changed connectivity.

2) The HDMI works fine with both Allienware and M4700

If the HDMI did not work on Allienware, I would have though the ports are bad on the monitor. The monitor is only couple of months old.

3) DisplayPort does not work for both. I am guessing since Allienware is about 4 year old laptop, DisplayPort specs may have changed.

Katari

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 30th, 2013 03:00

Hi katari,

As the monitor is not working on both the systems, the problem could be with the ports on the monitor.

I would like to know if you have changed the ‘Input source’ on the monitor to DVI or HDMI before connecting the cables.

Please check and reply.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 1st, 2013 03:00

Hi katari,

The problem is with the DVI-port on the monitor, to assist you further is would request you to private message me the order number of the monitor.

To private message, click my user name and click start conversation.

7 Posts

May 1st, 2013 08:00

Hello Nikhil:

I sent you Dell order number.

Katari

7 Posts

May 28th, 2013 09:00

As requested sent you monitor serial number.

June 17th, 2013 13:00

Did anyone get to the bottom of this issue as I have the same problem with my displayport not working.

1 Message

June 20th, 2013 13:00

I have also had this problem, but with a projector-the HDMI and display port won't work. Yes I have the latest drivers for my M4700, and the projector works fine with my Samsung laptop (using HDMI) and my Dell workstation (using display port). I submitted a support request on the 9th June, only received an acknowledgement on 14th June. I'm not particularly happy with this as I am supposed to have priority technical service (next day), and this is one of 2 m4700 laptops that I have recently purchased, both with exactly the same fault-not something that one expects with a high end machine like this.

2 Posts

July 21st, 2016 11:00

Have the same problem with my M4700 but with Firepro videocard. I've been using the HDMI connection to my monitor for 3 years, then one day just stops working. I've tried the displayport using an display to hdmi cable but stil nothing. the monitor works fine with another laptop and same cables so what's the problem with the precision?

No Events found!