Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 10th, 2016 19:00

Not charging after an auto update

Dear all,

I got a dell inspiron 13 7000series laptop with windows 10.

Following an auto update, the laptop battery was not charging.

I could solve the issue by a system restore. So, it looks  that this is not due to a hardware problem.

Could anybody help me is getting a solution for this,

Thanks,

Anuradha

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 15th, 2016 07:00

Before turning on auto update....

Since you already updated the BIOS then I suggest you update the Chipset and some of the other drivers as well. Please follow the instructions to run 'Guide Me' option in Dell video below.

2K Posts

December 17th, 2016 14:00

Hi Anuradha,

Thank you for the update.

Glad to hear the charging issue has been resolved.

Regarding the image query, kindly private message me the service tag, so I could check the file size. 

Alternatively, try downloading the image on another machine and check.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

2K Posts

December 11th, 2016 14:00

Hi Anuradha,

What is the exact system model? 

The battery not charging is not related to an OS / update issue.

Your description is not clear about whether you managed to resolve the issue or not. So, kindly confirm if the battery is charging fine now or not. If yes, then it might be a coincidence that the issue was resolved. 

If not, then read on:

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Could you test with another power adapter if possible?

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable).

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional. Also, run an extended / thorough tests on the HDD and memory to check for any possible errors. 

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

December 11th, 2016 17:00

P.S.

I'm using the original DELL adapter which came with the laptop. I bought this laptop because, I could use it with it's battery power almost one whole working day. But, when it's lost, the whole purpose is lost.

Thanks

December 11th, 2016 17:00

Dear Rishini,

Thank you for your prompt attention.

My Dell laptop model is Inspiron 13, 7000 series.

The operating system is Windows 10.

This happened following an auto update of the system.

Then the battery was not charging.

Then the battery gets discharged, with laptop operation.

It had to be plugged in to charger all the time, to operate.

The whole purpose of buying a laptop, was lost.

Then I did a system restore.

Problem settled.

Now it's  charging again.

So, as per my understanding, there is no hardware fault.

But, now I have disabled auto updates.

If I turn on my auto updates, the system will get updated again and the battery will get stopped charging.

Luckily, there has been a system restore point, auto created, before that update.

Else, I'd not have been able to recover from this problem.

Without a battery, the whole purpose of buying a laptop is lost.

This is likely to happen to other users of the same model.

So, I'd be much thankful, if you could give us a solution.

Somebody advised me to update the bios first and then run the auto update (I guess it's an OS update).

I did update my bios.

Still afraid of running the auto update.

As anyway, by now my laptop is working.

Only thing is, if I don't update my OS for a long time, it's likely to be unstable and non compatible with new software.

Thanks for your attention,

Anuradha

2K Posts

December 12th, 2016 10:00

Hi ANURADHAJAYATILAKE,

Thank you for the update.

What is the exact system model? Inspiron 7000 is the series. Restart the system and press f2 key on startup to enter BIOS - and it will display the exact system model there. Or http://dell.to/1n3X2po  - enter the service tag and it would also display the system model.

Based on the exact system model, we can check the possible options if available in BIOS.

December 12th, 2016 20:00

Thanks for your attention.

The exact model is Support for Inspiron 7359 2-in-1

I got it from  http://dell.to/1n3X2po  -

December 12th, 2016 21:00

I tried to download Dell support assist for PCs and tablets from 'content.dellsupportcenter.com/.../aulauncher.exe'.

Looks like that link also not working

December 14th, 2016 16:00

I'd be much thankful, if anyone could advice me in getting a solution for the problem.

Thanking you,

Anuradha

P.S. my model number is inspiron 7359 2-in-1

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 14th, 2016 18:00

Enter system setup (F2 at powerup).  Is the AC adapter listed along with its capacity (65W, etc.)?  Or does it show "unknown"?

December 15th, 2016 04:00

Thanks for your suggestion.

I entered the bois by entering F2 on startup.

It says, Primary battery 92%, charging, Health excellent, AC power adapter = 45w

December 15th, 2016 04:00

For the moment I'm stable as I have disabled OS updates. But, I cant download anything from windows store as I have disabled updates. But, if I turn on updates, then the OS will get updated and again my laptop batter would stop charging. I'd be much thankful, if some person could help me

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 15th, 2016 07:00

anuradhayatilake wrote: "I did update my bios. Still afraid of running the auto update.As anyway, by now my laptop is working.Only thing is, if I don't update my OS for a long time, it's likely to be unstable and non compatible with new software"

:emotion-2:

You can use the System Restore tool to create a restore point before turning on windows update.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 15th, 2016 08:00

7359 Manual - Me and My Dell

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 15th, 2016 08:00

After you turn on auto update and the battery is disable again, you can try a few things out before going to the restore point you have created:

1. Check in Settings and make sure Airplane switch mode is turn off.

2. Uninstall / Reinstall battery in device manager.

www.dell.com/.../en

EDIT:

No Events found!