Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2013 05:00

OCZ SSD Drive not detected

Hi there,

I am using a DELL Latitide E6530 and was about to upgrade it to use a OCZ SSD 256G Drive (VTR1-25SAt3-256G).

However the E6530 does not recognize the drive even after a BIOS upgrade (A12) .

I tried the drive on a HP laptop and it works so it is something on the E6530. What should I do?

Regards // Matias

1 Message

July 1st, 2015 19:00

This is exactly what the problem was with the Latitude E6530 I was putting a Samsung 850 Evo in. The laptop absolutely would not recognize the presence of the SSD until I took the rubber mount strips off. Even when I cut the ends off so the strips did not go too far in the SSD was not detected. I had to completely remove them. Left the SSD too free in the bay for my liking, but at least it would work.

2.2K Posts

August 9th, 2013 06:00

Hi samppa70,

Welcome to the Community. 

Let me know the following details:

Is it getting detected in BIOS?
Did you try resetting BIOS to default?

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

August 9th, 2013 06:00

Hi there,

- No it is not detected in the BIOS.

- I also did what you suggested - I reset the BIOS to default but the drive is not detected.

Thanks // Matias

2.2K Posts

August 9th, 2013 07:00

Hi samppa70,

Thank you for the reply.

Please let me know the following details:

Were you using a SATA or SSD drive previously?
Is the old drive working now?
Are you using the same slot to upgrade the system to SSD?

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

2.2K Posts

Hi Matias,

Thank you for the reply.

Try updating the Chip-set driver of the system using the link mentioned below:

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

Hi,

I used a Rotating SATA drive previously.

The OLD drive works.

I am using the same slot.

Regards // Matias

9.3K Posts

August 9th, 2013 08:00

Hi Matias,

Thank you for the reply.

Try updating the Chip-set driver of the system using the link mentioned below:

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

Uhm, how can you install a chipset driver if you cannot install the OS in the first place as the SSD isn't being detected (in the bios)?

If there is a newer bios you could try that (may need to put the original drive back in to boot to Windows and then update the bios).

5 Posts

August 9th, 2013 08:00

The link above was for the Latitude E6520 - I could not install that Chipset driver so I installed the one for E6530 (again) - did not help.

I am using two different Disks - one with Windows 7 on to install Bios and such and then I have the (yet) Non working OCZ disk that I try to get detected.

/Matias

2.4K Posts

August 9th, 2013 09:00

What options do you have to set the hard drive to in the BIOS. What is it currently set to AHCI for example.

5 Posts

August 9th, 2013 10:00

I have tried with ATA, AHCI and Raid On - none worked.

/Matias

2.4K Posts

August 9th, 2013 10:00

Also if you have fast boot enable in the BIOS disable it.

934 Posts

August 9th, 2013 13:00

If nothing helps: make sure it's not a mechanical problem.

Watch the video starting at 2:10 - it is possible that the SSD is lightly smaller than the original hdd and doesn't connect properly.

October 2nd, 2013 12:00

Take the drive out and remove the rubber surround part then re-insert the drive as this can stop the drive making good enough contact with the port inside.  (Only do this with SSD)

5 Posts

August 15th, 2014 14:00

I have exact same problem with E6530 and E7440 and Intel S3700 and Micron M500 SSDs.

Dell basically screwed up BIOS.  S3700 works fine with A12 but not if I set HD password.  With BIOS A15 both drives are not detected.  Yet a 4yo E6510 works fine with these SSDs and with normal rotational drives.

Someone from the development team must look at what they changed in the past 4 years that broke such compatibility.  Older drives (i.e. Intel X25) work perfectly.

This has been a huge problem for me, and I do not understand how a large company like Dell from which I bought tens of laptops before could have such an error.  At this point, if this issue is not fixed within 6 months, I would be seriously looking at getting rid of all of my Dell docking stations, laptops, batteries and whatever extras I got and moving to HP.

No Events found!