Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2012 11:00

Operation System Not Found

My wife has a Dell XPS-15Z laptop purchased in January 2012 with Windows 7 installed. Starting in the last couple days, when she wakes it out of sleep/hibernation, there is a black screen with "Operation System Not Found" in the upper left corner. Hitting escape causes Windows to open normally. It functions normally except that the fan is running pretty much all the time and the case feels hot to the touch around the hard drive and vents. When she reboots from a complete shut-down, both the error message and fan don't seem to reoccur.

The laptop is still in warranty, but we were wondering what may be causing this and what we may be looking at in terms of repairs.

Thank you.

2 Posts

July 4th, 2012 11:00

Still in warranty?

go to Dell Website, research the model and exchange if possible. Is it plugged in or running of the battery? Mine overheats and finally ran out my battery, so I took the battery out and just run it of the power line at home...however i assume you take it with you, so why mess around, get another one...my suggestion...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 4th, 2012 12:00

NJCurmudgeon,

Did you run the full diagnostics?

Any error messages?

Rick

14 Posts

Hi Pudgyone! I haven't had a chance - she's using it for work at the moment, But I should be able to today and will post the result. Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

NJCurmudgeon,

Try running the full diagnostics and report back any error messages. How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

Rick

14 Posts

Yes, it is in warranty, but we're curious if there was a simple fix we could do at our end before going through the inconvenience of an exchange or repair. And yes, she's running it off the power line at home when the problems occur.

Curiously, when she rebooted, she did not get the error message and the fan has returned to normal. We'll see if there is a pattern. If there is, perhaps that's a clue that it has to do with the sleep/hibernation states.

Thanks.

14 Posts

July 4th, 2012 15:00

Okay - I was able to run the diagnostic test. Everything passed. A couple of statistics:

- The battery charge was 100% across the board (Current, High, Low)

- The battery health was 99% across

- Processor fan (which ran the whole test) had a high of 5490 RPM and a low of 3200

- CPU thermistor high of 88 degrees C and a low of 66

- Ambient thermistor high 69, low 49

- Video thermistor high 70, low 49

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 4th, 2012 17:00

NJCurmudgeon,

I'm really not sure why you're getting Operating system not found. The full diagnostics tells if there is a hardware problem. I should say that it maybe a possible software problem.

Rick

14 Posts

July 6th, 2012 15:00

Is there a diagnostic that would tell us if it's a software problem?

Thanks!

14 Posts

July 6th, 2012 16:00

Ha! Too true!

So considering the error message, could it be a problem with the Windows 7 installation? Is there a way of checking that?

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 6th, 2012 16:00

NJCurmudgeon,

There is only a diagnostic for hardware. If there was a program for software, the program would run a very long time, since new software comes out everyday.

Rick

124 Posts

July 6th, 2012 17:00

Before you do anything rash do you have an external hard disk hooked up when this happens?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 6th, 2012 17:00

NJCurmudgeon,

Hardware checks, then it's an installation problem.

Easiest method is...

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

Manual method is...

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Rick

14 Posts

July 7th, 2012 08:00

We did an experiment. When there is no external hard drive hooked up, the laptop starts normally, both after being shut down completely and woken up from sleep mode. When the external drive is plugged in, the error message appears. So that does indeed seem to be a clue. I haven't heard the fan running excessively after rebooting, but I also know from reviews that the fan can be particularly loud on that model under normal running.

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 7th, 2012 08:00

NJCurmudgeon.

Jim C, Thanks, I forgot about an attached device.

Restart the computer and press F2 at the Dell Screen. Look for boot sequence. Make it...

CD/DVD Rom

HDD Hard Drive

USB Removable devices

Network

Save changes and exit.

When you start the computer with the hard drive attached, it should boot for cd/dvd first then hard drive. It will no longer look for the usb attached devices.

Rick

2 Posts

October 13th, 2012 11:00

Reason why "Operating System not found" error occurs is outlined here:
http://www.prime-expert.com/articles/b11/fix-operating-system-not-found.php

Article linked above also explains in detail how to fix it using Emergency Boot CD.
This tool can fix various boot problems related to boot records, BCD and mount points in registry.

Hope this helps, good luck.

No Events found!