Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2013 08:00

Operation system not found

Hi, I have xps L502x. I am facing 2 issues since last 1 month - 1. When I start my laptop, it doesn't detect OS.. And says "Operation system not found". I repeat it is "Operation" not "operating". I will have to change boot sequence many times to detect OS. And success rate is 2/10. I tried everything.... Reformatted... Reinstalled whole windows 7.. Etc.. But no luck. 2. When it starts... It freezes randomly... Like if I type something, it hangs up for some time.. And then it gets in active mode again... These things are really frustrating me to using this laptop. I searched online many options but not getting any solution. I ran diagnostic tool as well and it passed all test... not getting any clue whether it is OS issue or issue Dell laptops. let me know if anybody has solved any of these issues. Thanks in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 13th, 2013 08:00

Press f12 at powerup and boot to the Dell diagnostics - run an extended hard drive test.

4 Posts

October 13th, 2013 10:00

I did that but, it showed me pass for all test (including extended hard drive test). There was no problem in the system as per diagnostic result.

124 Posts

October 13th, 2013 11:00

You have a drive with a primary partition without boot code in your boot order. This is usually a forgotten external drive and for some reason the loader will not just skip it. This is the only time, that I am aware of, that the word "operation" instead of "operating" comes up. 

4 Posts

October 19th, 2013 01:00

Thanks Jim C for your reply. 

I tried to fix that by installing fresh using my recovery disk. But it didn't work... So considering problem with hard-disk, I thought to start laptop with another hard disk. I have another laptop Dell studio. I replaced hard disk from Dell studio to Dell XPS... And started system. It worked and was working fine and smoothly...... My laptop warranty expired.. So don't know whether it has diff warranty for hard disk or hard disk warranty(Toshiba 640GB SATA) is also expired with the system.

Finally I will buy out new internal hard disk, and try out my luck And let you all know whether it solved my problem or not.

124 Posts

October 19th, 2013 07:00

Thank you for the update. Please keep us posted, I am interested in this issue.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 19th, 2013 09:00

The hard drive that came with the system carries only the system warranty - nothing else.  And with Toshiba, getting support on even drives purchased separately can be an experience -- unlike WD and Seagate, they generally don't provide much end-user consumer support for drives.

4 Posts

October 21st, 2013 11:00

I bought new HDD 500GB, and installed Windows 7 Home Premium again. and Now my laptop is working fine. I have restarted it many times and updated many fixes online. It has solved both the issues "Operation system not found" as well as freezing issue after typing. I think it was due to HDD problem. Due to bad sectors or bad boot sector or other issue it was not working well, Even while shutting down the laptop, just before power off it was giving some sound from HDD look like when you do Hard reboot of a PC by pressing the power button.

All is well in the End :) I am writing this post from same working laptop :emotion-2: !!!

No Events found!