Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2013 08:00

Option in adding a second HDD to an Inspiron 17R-5720

I have read a number of questions and responses to this question and surprisingly none of them says exactly what has to be done in order to accomplish this. Some mention the addition of the mSATA card and a 32gb SSD, yet there is apparently no connections in the 2nd drive bay on the 5720 models? My Grandson is bringing me his unit to see what can be done. I just want to have an idea of what to expect and where I might get these parts if necessary. Also would there be any problems in using a 1TB 7200rpm drive or a single "hybrid" drive?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 28th, 2013 09:00

If the system wasn't ordered with the mSATA drive, the connector for it will not be in the system.  If you want to install the mSATA drive you will need to purchase the daughterboard from Dell to do it.  

The system will take any one conventional, hybrid, or 2.5" SATA solid state drive as long as it's 9.5 mm or slimmer.

February 28th, 2013 09:00

Hi radashack,

The Inspiron™ 5720/17R systems are offered with SATA 2 Hard Disk Drives and SATA 2 and 3 mSATA Solid State Drives.The following hard-drive options are available:

SATA- 2

Capacity

Speed

Dimensions

320 GB

5400 and 7200 rpm

2.5"

500 GB

5400 and 7200 rpm

2.5"

750 GB

5400 and 7200 rpm

2.5"

1 TB

5400 rpm

2.5"

mSATA SSD-SATA 2

Capacity

Speed

Dimensions

32 GB

3 Gb/s

1.18" x 2"

mSATA SSD-SATA 3

32 GB

6 Gb/s

1.18" x 2"

These systems support the combination of mSATA Solid State Drives with a SATA Hard Drive which enables the use of several technologies found in Intel® Rapid Storage Technology:

• Intel® Smart Response Technology: This technology utilizes the speed advantage of SSD in caching where the frequently used information is stored on the SSD instead of the Hard drive.
  • Intel® Rapid Start Technology: This technology enables the system to boot back with-in seconds after getting into hibernation.

There is no option to add secondary SATA2 hard drive in this system. Workaround can be to add a Caddy drive and install a secondary SATA 2 hard drive by removing the optical drive.

I would also suggest you to check the solid-state drive in device manager performing the following steps:

1. Click start .
  2. Click Control Panel and Click Device Manager and expand the Disk drives.
    Solid-state drive is listed under Disk drives.
  1. Image illustrates Hard drive in device manager,

Also Dell has not tested 1TB hard drive @7200rpm so would suggest you to opt for 1TB hard drive @5400rpm.

I would also like to inform you that Inspiron™ 5720/17R has a dummy hard drive slot, this slot cannot be used to install a hard drive as it does not have a hard drive connector, secondary hard drive option is available only on Inspiron™ 7720/17R (SE).

Image: Dummy hard drive slot.

You may also refer to the following video to see how to install an SSD in the system:http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3518/4657.MSATA.wmv

Please reply in case you have any other concerns.

1 Message

August 29th, 2014 09:00

Hey, this laptop model: Inspiron 17R-5520 admits SATA 3 HDD? I have lost my older HDD and I would like to replace it with a SATA 3 HDD device, but I'm not completely sure about this laptop hard disk's configuration/operation. 

No Events found!