Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

45 Posts

February 7th, 2009 22:00

PCMCIA USB 2.0 Card with Latitude C640

I have ordered a Kensington Universal Exp Dock K33367US for my Latitude C640. First of all I didn't realize it connected to the laptop by USB cord because the person I spoke with at Dell didn't understand me and I didn't understand her and unfortunately I didn't do my homework first. I was trusting that the people at Dell answering the phones would know what they were doing.

As you may know the Latitude C640 has one 1.1 USB port. According to the specs on the Kensington Dock in order to use an external monitor the Kensington Dock must be connected to a 2.0 USB port on the laptop. Additionally, I read that the Kensington Dock requires the use of an external keyboard which I have but due to deskspace reasons might not want to use.

So my first question is does anyone have this dock and if so can you tell me if the specs are true?

My next question is assuming the the specs are true, would I be able to satisfy the requirement of a 2.0 USB port if I use a pcmcia USB 2.0 card in the laptop and connected the Kensington Dock via the pcmcia USB 2.0 card?

My final question is in your opinion would I be better off purcashing the refurbished C/port II replicator that connects straight to the back of the Latitude C640 and allows the use of an external monitor which I assume would allow me to use the laptop keyboard if I want to instead of having to use an external keyboard?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

Best Wishes,

GEGJR

1.6K Posts

February 8th, 2009 04:00

A Dell C-dock is probably a better option, but you'll still need the USB 2.0 PCMCIA card if you want USB 2.0 support - the dock won't add it.

No Events found!