Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2014 17:00

PLEASE HELP - I accidentally uninstalled MS Office from my laptop

I have an Inspiron 3520. I've tried so many help sites online and not one of those instructions matches up with search words to try and get Office reinstalled. I type in system recovery, I get nothing, Reinstall program- nothing. There is no solution, no icons to click on, that are suggested online that match up to what I see on my computer, which I purchased 1 1/2 years ago.

Why should it be so difficult to reinstall a program that came as part of the computer? For that matter, why did they make it so easy to uninstall the thing in the first place, with no ability to hit cancel, nothing.

Anyway -- someone out there -- please help. A book hangs in the balance here.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 16th, 2014 17:00

You can easily download office from Microsoft - all you need is the card that came with your system containing the license key.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/

The one version that's no longer available is Office Starter, but that can't be the one that came with your system (it was shipped until June 2012).

4 Posts

August 16th, 2014 18:00

yes, thanks, I just did that. nothing is wrong, apparently, according to the scan.

I'm going to Google "Can't perform system restore" and see what comes up.

appreciate your help.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Right-click on the icon for the drive, go to Properties, then Tools.  Run the error check from there (you may have to restart the system).

If you see corruption, you should also run a hard drive diagnostic (F12 at powerup).

4 Posts

Thank you -- I just tried a system restore, in which all the programs I recently uninstalled -- Office being one of them - were to be restored EXCEPT my computer's saying it couldn't do the restore because my C: drive might be corrupt .... and its saying I should check the disc?? I don't know how to do this ... but any ideas on why system restore couldn't be done?

finding the original card might take some digging ....

4 Posts

August 17th, 2014 07:00

Just for the record, and to bring this discussion to conclusion, you don't need to have the key that came with the MS Office card when you bought the computer to reinstall the software in the instance that you accidentally un-install it -- it suddenly occurred to me that the key was activated once, and should be registered with Microsoft as being attached to this computer... so I just went onto the MS Office online installation -- they have an icon you can click on if you need to reinstall the Office suite on your computer. All my word files are back now.

I am, however, still having problems doing a system restore, as it says my computer is unable to do it. Will have to research that one further.

No Events found!