Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

F

1 Message

August 4th, 2004 17:00

Palm T3's USB hotsyncing to the Dell D Dock

Has their been any latest fix for this issue where certain Palms will not hotsync with the D Dock's USB port when using USB 2.0.   Do other manufacturer's have this issue with Palm or is this a Dell issue?

14 Posts

August 6th, 2004 13:00

I've download everything and anything to fix this problem and for me it still won't work. It's strictly a Dell issue as far as I'm concerned. I've gotten other USB 2.0 devices to work with the D-Dock, but not my T3, it never has. Your best bet, besides disabling USB 2.0 which I think is unacceptable, is to plug the T3 into the USB ports on the laptop not the dock. It should work fine from there, but obviously this kind of bypasses the purpose of the D-Dock.

Hope that helps...

2 Posts

August 6th, 2004 15:00

I have been having this same issue, since installing a D Dock APR, and the Dell telephone support was less than knowlegable about this issue, which seems to be common, rather than "I have never seen that before", and "your USB mouse is working so the APR is fine".  Disabling the USB 2.0 controller does work, although I needed to switch USB ports to reinitialize the connection.  THis is however unacceptable, since it reduces the transmission speed of the USB 2.0 ports, and I do have 2.0 devices, including the T3.

Definitely need a Dell fix to this issue.

3 Posts

August 6th, 2004 18:00

I too have have a user with a an issue with the T3 Palm. I've pretty much tried everything in my bag of tricks and it still will NOT sync thru the dock. It, however, has no problem syncing directly thru the laptop out of the dock. I've played with the com ports, disabling the modem etc. I did notice when I had device manager open and started to hot sync, the palm came up in the listing, but the yellow mark indicated the drivers were'nt installed. When the sync is canceled, the palm disappears from the list. Go figure. Has anyone tried a dock firmware update or a bios update?

11 Posts

August 7th, 2004 02:00

I'm having the same T3 problem, and I've upgraded to the latest firmware, latest NSS, etc.  No joy.  Exactly the same symptoms as others - works fine directly connected to the d600, fails thru the Dport dock.  I'm using windows 2000, FWIW.

BTW - my short term solution is bluetooth - I have an Ambicon usb bluetooth gadget that works great.

I also tried to activate the IR port as another alternative, no luck on that either - any ideas?

11 Posts

August 7th, 2004 02:00

One more thing - I tried to do the 2.0 hub disable that Rollie mentions in his post on USB 1.1 devices - not sure if the T3/cradle is 1.1 or 2.0  anyway, and my D600 on win2000 doesn't have a 24cd controller - only 24c2, 4 and 7.

Rollie - any ideas on this?

11 Posts

August 7th, 2004 03:00

OK, the IR does work - just follow the Dell and Palm instructions - activate it in bios, load the driver (dell) and turn off camea download in control-panel-> wireless (palm) and all is just fine.

IR works great once it's set up - a good alternative to USB until we get an answer on the USB for T3

14 Posts

August 7th, 2004 11:00

I don't think we're going to get an answer. Dell has now said the D-Dock USB 2.0 problem is fixed and to me that means they're done looking at it. This problem is not new, it's been around for quite some time and now I think they've said it's fixed to try and make it go away.

From this forum...

@DELL-Rollie wrote:

This issue has been resolved with an updated USB 2.0 driver. The driver is packaged into Notebook System Software (NSS) versions A14 and higher.

The latest version of NSS can be found in the file library using the Downloads under Product Support above.

11 Posts

August 7th, 2004 14:00

Well, I just installed the latest nss, and no luck. I looked over the feature list, and for win2000 sp4, there's no USB update anyway!

Just for the record - the symptoms are that one the first attempt, the system recognizes a palm device, and installs the right driver, but can't start it (code 10). On suceeding attempts, the system can't recognize the device and installs a "unknown USB device" which is useless/harmfull.

BTW - is there a good way to confirm which NSS is actually installed?

2 Posts

August 9th, 2004 19:00

Ok,

Last week, disabling the 2.0 controller worked fine, but now, my T3 won't even recognize.  I currently have two hardware profiles set up, and the controller is disabled in my default (docked) profine, but active in the undocked profile.  I have loaded the latest NSS, but there is no way to verify this.  IR sync is very slow, does anyone know how bluetooth compares in speed to either USB or IR.  THis may work for the short term.

Dell, it is very painful to have to disengange from the dock, to sync the T3.  Please look into fixing this issue.

Kyle

2 Posts

August 10th, 2004 20:00

I am also experiencing this problem.  It is very frustrating especially since we are now switching all of our laptops and palms over to d600's and t3's.  The intermittent fix was to install the patch for the usb for the d dock.  This works for everything but the palm.

I hope that dell looks into something very soon as I also going to contact our sales rep for this because it is un-acceptible.

11 Posts

August 15th, 2004 17:00

Just checked the Dell downloads - there's now an A016 of NSS (Notebook System Software) as of 8/13. 

So I downloaded and installed it - and the T3 update problem persists, same symptoms!

Wonder when Dell is going to buy a T3 and really test/debug this?

11 Posts

August 15th, 2004 21:00

OK, I found a workaround, albeit a little expensive - I put a Dlink USB 2.0 hub in the link, and all worked just fine.  Not a great solution - yet another power cord, the hub costs a few bucks, but it did work.

Now, hopefully this explains to the Dell folk a little more of the problem, or maybe the hub is doing the 1.1 - 2.0 translation, letting the Dport work in 2.0 mode where it's happy.

12 Posts

August 16th, 2004 21:00

this is rediculous!  I can't believe the newest NSS fix doesn't work either!  oh if i could only get a ThinkPad!

12 Posts

August 17th, 2004 02:00

Of course, i also mean IBM replicators.  never had a single problem with them...nothing but with DELL.  and as i have reviewed this board, i only see negligence by the folks from DELL.  I can't wait for the Board to my experience with this computer and recommendations! 

12 Posts

August 17th, 2004 02:00

Pitiful...looks like i have to get a USB hub for my port replicator...PiTIFUL
No Events found!