Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

November 1st, 2005 03:00

Password Unlock/Remove?

How do I take out or change the password for when I first turn on the power? Is there any way I can reset it too? Can you please help me. Thank you!

78 Posts

November 1st, 2005 03:00

After you log in?

658 Posts

November 1st, 2005 04:00

sounds like a harddrive password. Assuming so, you'll generally need to go into the BIOS to change or remove it. On the newer systems within the past couple years, you can push F2 on startup, and it should take you into the BIOS before it askes you for the password. Likely one the security or last page, you'll have the option to change the password.

Alternatively, if you don't know this password, phone dell, and be ready to confirm everything from the name, company name and address to hte phone number on the acct. Assuming you can do so, they generally have the ability to create master passwords.

1 Message

November 1st, 2005 09:00

Dell should never assist to provide password unlock/remove without thorough checking on the ownership.
I would appreciate if Dell could assist me to recover my stolen laptop. This is my only recourse if the police is unable to catch the thief.

November 1st, 2005 21:00

As the previous poster stated, they do confirm ownership. Also, you can report your laptop to Dell as stolen, and then they'll *never* give out the password, if anyone calls in, they'll take down their information and call the police.
No Events found!