Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2016 18:00

Periodic BSoD F4 CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION caused by ntoskrnl.exe on XPS17 with Win 7 64bits

Hi Support,

Since many months I'm having sudden and periodic (about every 2 weeks) Blue Screens with no clear provoking pattern. Sometimes I'm at the computer, a Dell XPS17 L702X installed with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits with Service Pack 1, but most of the time I'm not (I keep the computer powered on) and when I return the BSoD is there.

The displayed Technical information reports: STOP: 0x000000F4  (CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION) A mini-dump file is taken, which I can make available.

Dump File

022816-28048-01.dmp

Crash Time

27/02/2016 22:32

Bug Check String

CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

Bug Check Code

0x000000f4

Parameter 1

00000000`00000003

Parameter 2

fffffa80`0a94fb10

Parameter 3

fffffa80`0a94fdf0

Parameter 4

fffff800`04395e80

Caused By Driver

ntoskrnl.exe

Caused By Address

ntoskrnl.exe+743c0

File Description

NT Kernel & System

Product Name

Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Company

Microsoft Corporation

File Version

6.1.7601.19135 (win7sp1_gdr.160121-1718)

Processor

x64

Crash Address

ntoskrnl.exe+743c0

Stack Address 1

Stack Address 2

Stack Address 3

Computer Name

Full Path

C:\Windows\Minidump\022816-28048-01.dmp

Processors Count

Major Version

Minor Version

Dump File Size

Dump File Time

28/02/2016 01:31

I have six other minidumps taken at previous BSoDs with same reported cause, if required.

For info, when running an sfc /scannow  I get no integrity violation reported.

Can you please assist me in debugging and getting rid of this issue ?

The PC is otherwise functioning as expected.

Thanks in advance for your support!

13 Posts

February 27th, 2016 20:00

Hi,

Thank you for this quick feedback.  I have ran the hardware tests in the past without any glitch being reported, but I will run them again, just for the sake of covering this source.

Note that in the meantime (since first appearance of this kind of issue about 18months ago) I have replaced the main HDD by a SSD but the problem persisted.

I'll keep you posted about the hardware tests (F12 menu).

Kind regards.

February 27th, 2016 20:00

Hi, 

Thanks for writing to us. 

The BOSD could be either a faulty hd or a bad memory. 

Please run diagnostics from the f12 menu and observe for any errors. 

Also if there are two memory modules in the machine run the machine with one memory at a time. 

If possible, please try another HD on the machine, though its a tedious process as the error seems to happen to randomly , but would appreciate if you can try the following steps and observe. 

Do keep us posted.

Regards

13 Posts

February 27th, 2016 22:00

Hi again!

I have run hardware tests all along since my last post here and can confirm that all tests passed successfully.

First I did the Boot Pre-Assessment Tests (via F12 at boot) with a special stress test on memory.

Then the PC automatically booted into the diagnostics partition. I ran all tests again and did a special full read test on the system disk (the SSD). It all went fine without any glitch or error report. I have a few screenshots taken with my smartphone's camera if that might help.

This being cleared, what investigation would you suggest ?

Thanks in advance for your support !

Kind regards.

February 28th, 2016 17:00

Though the memory test passed, could we please try with 1 memory module or a different module if possible. If issue still the same, then got to suspect the motherboard (keeping in mind windows installed afresh after changing HD in past , so software is ruled out)

February 28th, 2016 17:00

Also can we uninstall antivirus software and observe the system again.

13 Posts

February 28th, 2016 19:00

No Windows wasn't installed afresh after HDD replacement : I did clone all the partitions to the SSD (same capacity as the HDD), meaning that any software issue would have been carried over.

I'm personally suspecting some quite rare condition to occur at driver level for the specific hardware of this Dell laptop (each laptop is always very specific, unfortunately). The laptop is at highest BIOS level and I have downloaded and installed every driver from the Dell Support page.

13 Posts

February 28th, 2016 19:00

Hi again and thanks for the fast response !

I'm not sure what we are pursuing here: the BSoD happens randomly about every 2 to 4 weeks.

Are expecting me to run without antivirus for that amount of weeks ? I would use the computer without anti-virus only for the time to change anti-virus software, not a minute more (connected to the Internet I mean obviously)!

If I uninstalled the anti-virus, do you want me to run the hardware scans again ? I'm not sure how tis is relevant as ALL hardware scans I ran were done from either the Boot Pre-Assessment Tests or from the Diagnostics partition, i.e. without ANT anti-virus influence.

I would not object to run the memory module test again (the laptop features 2 x Samsung M471B5273DH0-CH9 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM PC3-10700SO DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5) modules) but I'm not sure why suddenly an issue would be detected by the hardware scan with only HALF of the modules -- and no I have no alternative memory bank but as the HW scan doesn't show any issue how would using an alternative bank help it)?

Please share with me your approach so I can understand and participate in the narrowing-down.

Kind regards.

March 4th, 2016 17:00

Hi Nice to hear from you.
I would definitely not suggest/advise to run a machine for so long without an anti-virus. Keeping in mind the issue occurring once or twice every 2-4 weeks, we are at wit's end.
As you rightly said a clone carries all the data as well as the hidden issues (software) as well to the new drive. Can we do a windows installation afresh.

Though the diagnostics have passed. very rarely we have come across situations a minor issues with bad memory modules are unseen by the tests. We can comment more post fresh windows installation (if its feasible for you).

13 Posts

March 5th, 2016 09:00

Hi,

Thanks for coming back with your update.  I consider a fresh reinstall from the whole PC as a really high price to pay with no serious clue why and what it would actually resolve. In other words without any hint if it would be resoled.  Moreover I would have to reinstall and reconfigure *many* software pieces (and probably data) that got installed over the last 4 years on this computer. And that *is* a high payload I can assure you!

I would really prefer to have at least a hint or direction about what went wrong and was wondering if the mini-dumps should not be THE investigation starting point ? After all that's why they were created : to give system engineers a chance to troubleshoot the actual issue. And I have six or seven of them available for in-depth analysis by the right expert.

Also, while browsing some forums in a desperate search for some additional help I heard of activating some Windows OS mode or switch that triggers a high sensitivity and logging at driver level, specifically aimed at collecting such kind of issue with any driver  -- I have however sadly enough lost the web-page  / forum where I've read that. Have you experience with this mode and analysed the associated dumps / logs ?

Best regards.

March 6th, 2016 19:00

Hi Nice to hear from you.
You can PM me the mini dump by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message, we will definitely analyze and get back to you.
Though the mini dump points towards a particular driver or an application most of the time, but uninstalling and reinstalling those software/drivers have rarely helped.
Will wait for the mini dump.
Thanks for your cooperation.

13 Posts

March 8th, 2016 02:00

Hi,

I have attempted to send you a private message with minidumps stored in a 7zip archive (112k heavy) and sent as an image media. The upload went like a breeze but when sending the PM it failed with this error message here below. Was there a problem with the PM interface expecting a image (only) ? Which other media insertion button can I use ? (Insert link is disabled too)

Thanks for your directions!

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error.
Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

March 9th, 2016 17:00

Hi, I have sent a private message with my email address. Do mail me the dump.

March 9th, 2016 18:00

Do mail me the dump

13 Posts

March 10th, 2016 14:00

Just did it a minute ago  :-)

March 10th, 2016 20:00

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for the minidump. 

Have sent to our sources to get it analyzed. Will keep you posted once i hear from them.

Regards

No Events found!