Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2014 23:00

Power adapter dying or normal?

I have an M17x R4 for over 2 years now and havent had any power related issues so far.

But lately my power adapter box has been creating a very faint ticking sound at equal intervals, and the ticks increase the more load the laptop is under (ex gaming).

So far i've tried different power sockets and tried it when it was unplugged from the laptop but the ticking is still there.

Now, i'm not sure if this ticking existed before as i've never noticed it, for all i know it could've always been like that, but i looked it up on the internet and people say that when power adapters do clicks/ticks it usually means it is dying.

So what should i do here? The thing is out of warranty, and i dont want to spend so much money on a new power unit if it's unnecessary.

Advice??, opinions??

December 18th, 2014 04:00

Keep in mind, the sound is Very Very faint, I can hear it from 40cm away and closer.

December 18th, 2014 09:00

help please.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 18th, 2014 10:00

It sounds like a replacement adapter would be a good idea.  There's no sense endangering a $500 mainboard for the sake of a $50 adapter.

December 18th, 2014 10:00

i will take the adapter to a pc clinic on sunday and see if they can fix it.

but i'd prefer not paying at all since i just payed for a replacement GPU out of warranty which cost me $570

How much do you think it can last??

December 19th, 2014 03:00

Need an official reply please, that's why i posted here.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 19th, 2014 05:00

No one can answer - even a perfectly operating adapter can fail at any time. 

Trying to repair an adapter is an exercise in danger -- since you know the adapter is making noises it shouldn't be, replace it with a new one.  Attempting to repair an adapter that's sealed and not repairable puts a $500 mainboard in harm's way for the sake of saving the $50 or so the adapter costs.

December 19th, 2014 06:00

more like $150 in my case, cuz they have to import it.

No Events found!