Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2017 08:00

Precision 5510 + NVMe + BSOD

Hi,

I have a Precision 5510 with Xeon CPU, 1Tbyte NVMe, Windows 10 Pro. I have the latest updates for Windows and (almost, see below) updates from Dell.

Sometimes (once a day or more) the disk activity goes 100% on Task manager - Performance, read and write speed to 0. After about 10s the computer crashes with a BSOD.

Sometimes instead (not sure if it is related) the computer hangs doing any disk related operation or it is really slow.

There are two Dell updates that seem to be successfully installed, but if I do another check with the Dell utility, those updates appear again.

The updates are:

Intel Serial IO driver driverid FC98F

Intel Management Engine Components Installer driverid X37VM

Feel free to ask for any log info might be useful.

Best regards,

Matteo

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

February 6th, 2017 04:00

Hi matteoswd,

Thanks for posting.

I'm assuming your 1Tbyte NVMe is a Samsung, correct?  If so, have you tried installing the Samsung drivers like this user:  http://dell.to/2lflZD0

6 Posts

February 6th, 2017 05:00

Hi Robert,

thank you for your reply.

No, it is a Toshiba THNSN51T02DU7.

Regards,

Matteo

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

February 7th, 2017 04:00

Here is an article that may be helpful:

http://dell.to/2lfiMX6

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 14th, 2017 09:00

Could you do something?  Open Device Manager and select your drive.   Then go up to the View options and select view by connection.  Let us know what controller it is showing on, NVMe or SATA.

I haven't checked on the specifications of your system, but those M.2 drives need to be used in a UEFI configuration in order to use the driver.

6 Posts

February 14th, 2017 09:00

Hi Robert,

I read the article, but it is mainly for Windows 7. I have currently installed Windows 10.

Regards,

Matteo

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 14th, 2017 10:00

I checked your system and it only shows SATA available.  I do not know why Dell is putting the drives in systems as SATA, unless they just had some laying around.

I suppose what I was interested in is a driver for the controller.  If you have the latest chipset driver installed and then the SATA driver, you may need to look at the drive itself.  A recent Bios update has be presenting problems to certain types of configurations.

If you had a dump file, you might put it on OneDrive and give us a link.  Robert may know of a better way.

6 Posts

February 14th, 2017 10:00

Hi Saltgrass,

the NVMe is connected to the SATA controller.

Thanks and regards,

Matteo

No Events found!