Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2017 20:00

Precision 7720 F4 mic key will not turn off

I am not sure if my new laptop has an internal microphone.  I do have the two small "dots" above my screen, but when I try to turn on the mic, I am asked to connect the device. With that said, my Fn+F4 key is lit all the time, and I cannot turn it off.  Please help.  My model is a Precision 7720.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 2nd, 2017 21:00

I am not sure if my new laptop has an internal microphone.  I do have the two small "dots" above my screen

Hello. Your internal mic is part of the camera. There are 2 mics on either side of the lens, behind the small holes.

If you have Microphone (or Microphone Array) set as the default device in the Recording tab of the Windows Sound control, then the mic should be on all the time, at least until you plug in an external mic or headset.

If that setting doesn't affect the light, try pressing & releasing just the F4 key. If light stays on, reinstall the audio driver. [This is it if you have Windows 10, 8.1, or 7. Just came out a couple of weeks ago -- might help.]

July 3rd, 2017 06:00

I I navigated to the sound dialog box.  Microphone array is not an option at all.  So your suggestion is for me to download the driver you have indicated?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 3rd, 2017 08:00

There is a lot of variation in what will appear in the list. It all depends on how the driver was written, and there are zillions of driver versions. If you just have one listing for Microphone, make it the default device. If you have a separate listing for jack mic or external mic, don't make that the default device if you want to use the internal mics.

About installing the driver, open the Device Manager and expand the Sound...Controllers category. Right click on Realtek High Definition Audio to open the context menu, and choose to uninstall. Put a check mark in the box to remove the driver software (that means the files from which the driver is built). Restart the laptop. Go back to Device Manager and check. If Realtek is gone, and replaced by High Definition Audio Device or Intel High Definition, then go ahead and download & install the driver in the link. But if Realtek is still there, that means there was an older Realtek version that had left files on the hard drive, and Windows found them and built the older driver from those files. In that case, test using that driver and see if you can get the mic to work. If not, repeat the process of un-installing and deleting the software, until all Realtek driver files have been removed, and then download and install the driver in the link.

No Events found!