Nikki.Deejay
2 Bronze

Re: Precision M6500 touchpad jumps left a few inches when moving finger right

So on-site service is also off the 'fix list' then. emoticon.Sad.title

Is this thread a practical joke?

This is Dell's top-O-the-line machine.

It has been almost a week now and they won't even write back to me after my support contact about this, and then there are all these other people on their own forum with exactly the same problem and nobody even chimes in to say "Sit tight guys, we're working on it."?

I feel like after spending 5G's on this thing I would at least see a $6 Dell mouse in the mail to keep me going until they got to the bottom of it.

I'm very quickly losing my once unshakable faith in the great Dell Corporation.

Could you explain it more clearly? I'm new here.
0 Kudos
dbongard
2 Bronze

That was an old post.  Swapping the keyboard, palmrest and touchpad on my machine has solved it for a few months now.

Nothing to do with drivers, bios, touchpad options settings, Control Point, etc made any difference at all and I tried everything.

Call Dell and reference this forum thread for your problem.

They have documented the problem against this thread.

Good luck!

It's not easy having one of the most spendy machines on the market and not being able to get it working.

[quote user="dbongard"]

So on-site service is also off the 'fix list' then. emoticon.Sad.title

Is this thread a practical joke?

This is Dell's top-O-the-line machine.

It has been almost a week now and they won't even write back to me after my support contact about this, and then there are all these other people on their own forum with exactly the same problem and nobody even chimes in to say "Sit tight guys, we're working on it."?

I feel like after spending 5G's on this thing I would at least see a $6 Dell mouse in the mail to keep me going until they got to the bottom of it.

I'm very quickly losing my once unshakable faith in the great Dell Corporation.

Could you explain it more clearly? I'm new here.

[/quote]

0 Kudos
ckantack
1 Copper

This thread has been very useful to me.  By pointing Dell to this thread I was able to accelerate the resolution of my M6500 problems.   I had several M6500's with the touchpad issue.   All are repaired and working fine.   Because of the problems we had, we were able to negoitiate an extension to our Dell warranty for a few months.   

The only solution (IMHO) is to get Dell to replace your touchpad and/or keyboard hardware with good parts.    I'd like to think by now they've got all the bad parts "out of the system", but sounds like that may not be the case yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
soosmen
1 Copper

Contacted Dell chat over the weekend... got a low level support person that wanted me to reinstall my whole system... I had to cut her off.... she was totally lost.... useless...... Dell you need to get this fixed... we precision users have a lot of contacts!

dbongard
2 Bronze

we precision users have a lot of contacts!

No kidding, eh!  The top of the line machine in their range that you could get four Dell Inspirons for the price of are only going to be piloted by affluent professionals that Dell stands to make ALLOT of money from over the next few decades, and they respond to their formalized support claims as though you were having trouble changing your background screen to a pretty colour.

To be honest I think that if Dell was taking their high end customers seriously then they should have done a mail-out to ALL of their 6500 owners to say "We have identified a problem that may effect you so if you are having trouble with this particular issue then please contact us to help you with it."  You have to wonder how many poor buggers are out there re-installing Windows and changing settings or just re-booting all of the time because they have not found this support thread yet.  If their own tech people don't know about it then how are their customers supposed to?  Isn't this how Microsoft lost the worlds biggest monopoly to Apple?

0 Kudos
TheDesertDog
1 Copper

Mine is still trouble free after palm rest / Touchpad replacement. I believe the idea that there was a bad run of parts that even included some of the replacement items makes sense. I'm glad I held off until I saw some actual results here instead of spending days rebuilding my setup when I knew it wasn't the problem.

0 Kudos
Nato14
1 Copper

Aren't computers fun!!!!

Well, I now have the 4th touch pad and 2nd keyboard installed on my M6500. They happen to be the worst of all that I've had. The pointing stick now fails to work 95% of the time. The touch pad locks up completely after about 5 minutes of use and requires a reboot to get it to work another 5 minutes.

So I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them (A05 drivers). Nothing changed.

I installed the latest  drivers (A06) I found on the Dell website and gave them a whirl. They didn't seem to help.

So here I go again...another call for service.

M6500 Precision Workstation Laptop

0 Kudos
soosmen
1 Copper

OK... I am claiming my M6500 fixed... they were going to send me another palm rest, motherboard, etc...etc... just in case you have not been reading they had already sent many parts and finally just sent me a complete new computer... but the issue with touch pad continued.... in my last call to tech support (one of probably 20)... He said let me check one more time to see if there is a newer driver version available... He found one sent it to me... we installed it over one week ago and everything is working fine:emotion-11:... I think this is more than hardware.

0 Kudos
ckantack
1 Copper

After reading Soosmen's post, I went out to the Dell driver page for the M6500.   Sure enough, there is a new Synaptics driver dated 9/27/2010.   

Chris

0 Kudos
soosmen
1 Copper

yep... thats the one that fixed my computer.... but after we installed it... oddly enough if you go back an look at the driver it still shows the old date... confused... but working ok!

0 Kudos