Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2010 10:00

Precision M6500 touchpad jumps left a few inches when moving finger right

Precision M6500 i7, XP x86. 

This only happens intermittently and only with the touchpad, not my usb mouse.  When I touch the pad to move the cursor right, the cursor jumps left a few inches then moves with my finger right.  When I release my finger to try to move the cursor to the right again it does the same thing. 

I don't have an APOINT application anywhere on my machine (did full search).  Dell does not have any touchpad drivers for my machine online, either. 

I can use a mouse when at my desk, but when I have to go into the field I don't want to have to use it on my pant leg or something.

12 Posts

September 9th, 2011 13:00

I received my replacement for the M6500 the other day. It is the M6600. Not a bad machine, and they gave me a few upgrades. The screen is just 1920 x 1020, not 1920 x 1200, so not to hyped on that.

As for the new touch pad which is causing so much grief, it is no better, but it is different. The case seems to be quite a bit stiffer around the touch pad, that is good, but the touch pad is now sensitive to skin in the proximity of the pad. Weird. I can hover my finger over the touch pad, or right next to it and the pad senses it, much like an IPOD screen can sense your finger before you physically touch the screen. If I keep my hand away from the touch pad, and turn on the "disable while typing" feature, then I'm having few problems. We'll keep experimenting:)

Nathan

January 22nd, 2012 09:00

Hi

I had a precision m6500 (unfortunately got stolen) had same issues with touchpad, replaced it with a precision m6600 that also has issues with the touchpad, the pointer shoots to to top left part of the screen.

This is really frustrating for such expensive machines.

I was also disappointed at the 1920 x 1080 resolution.

1 Message

April 10th, 2012 08:00

ckurz7000, how did you deactivate the touchpad? I can't find its settings anywhere.

4 Posts

April 10th, 2012 09:00

Can you adjust the sensitivity? I don't think I'll upgrade to the 6600, I like my 6400 & 6500.

4 Posts

April 10th, 2012 10:00

After sending my 6500 back to Dell to replace the bezel or plastic around the keyboard and touch-pad for a stiffer part, that did not fix my touch-pad but it did fix my Cardbus PC card from going out on me. Anyway, I went out and purchased a MS ArcTouch wireless mouse in which the USB receiver takes up a USB port.

1 Message

April 16th, 2012 00:00

I was hoping not to find a thread like this. I just got a new M6600 last week and I have the exact same issue as you all describe here. It does seem to be a software issue for me though because when I enter bios the touchpad works perfectly. Such a shame a laptop this expensive got a problem like this.

April 30th, 2012 01:00

I solved this by going into control panel -> N-trig duosence digitizer settings , and clicking "touch tuning"

1 Message

May 22nd, 2012 08:00

Where in control panel do I find the 'N-trig duosence digitizer settings' and/or the 'touch tuning'? I am appalled that Dell has not been more on top of this issue as it is completely unacceptable to have any laptop, let alone a high end one, not even allow you to type an email without the mouse jumping all over the place.

May 22nd, 2012 09:00

on the right side of control panel, don't forget to click View by: large icons

May 22nd, 2012 09:00

here is an image of my control panel

1 Message

June 24th, 2012 13:00

I never had the problem most people are describing here, but I occasionally got irritated by mistakenly hitting my Touchpad... I always use a USB Wireless mouse anyway... If this is the mouse type you are using too, these are the steps I used:

1. Power off the M6500
  2. Enter the start-up options menu by tapping F12 during the initial boot up.
  3. Select the BIOS setting.
  4. Select Post Behavior
  5. Select Touchpad
  6. Select the Disable Touchpad when Serial Mouse detected (not sure why it's called Serial when USB, but whatever, it works!!!)
  7. Escape the BIOS and choose SAVE...

You will no longer have use of any of the Touchpad features when your USB/Serial Wireless mouse is attached...

Of course, some of the terminology of above is loosely interpreted from memory, as you can't cut and paste in BIOS!!!

This worked for me!

-Vaughn

1 Message

July 19th, 2012 20:00

I've had no luck deactivating the touchpad. in my Dell Demension laptop. Was before Geek Quad worked on it but came back activated again - they say thet don't know how. or how to reverse it.  Told me to to Dell to helpl  Dell was no help at all unless I was willing to pay them at least $59.00.  Living up to their bad reputation.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Has anyone else tried to turn off their touch pad so as to no keep accidentally touching it and so they can just use their mouse?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

July 27th, 2012 12:00

ok so, i have the same but slightly DIFFERENT problem.

While I am typing,  the cursor jumps to an earlier or later section of the page and if I am not watching, I will re-type over other text.

Its funny it just happened while typing that problem.  The cursor will jump left, right or up,down to any other part of the page.  Sometimes it will close out an email by itself or right now its trying to scroll...  wow...

I wish i can figure this out...  its like were i rest my palms to type affects the cursor... but only sometimes... and you cant replicate the issue anytime.

If anyone comes up with a sollution, I would love to hear it.

Peace

8 Posts

ok so, i have the same but slightly DIFFERENT problem.

While I am typing,  the cursor jumps to an earlier or later section of the page and if I am not watching, I will re-type over other text.

Its funny it just happened while typing that problem.  The cursor will jump left, right or up,down to any other part of the page.  Sometimes it will close out an email by itself or right now its trying to scroll...  wow...

I wish i can figure this out...  its like were i rest my palms to type affects the cursor... but only sometimes... and you cant replicate the issue anytime.

If anyone comes up with a sollution, I would love to hear it.

The problem is with the palmrest. The "early" (year 1) palmrests had an engineering flaw that caused what you are seeing. Specifically the problem is with the connection between the touchpad and the keyboard. The connection is immediately above the touchpad and is very sensitive to palmrest "flex".

I bought a new M6500 in May 2010 and it had this problem and it drove me crazy. Dell replaced the palmrest twice and the keyboard once but the problem persisted because the replacement palmrests had the same issue. I gave up for a while but tried again last year after peaple began reporting that replacing the palmrest was fixing their problem. I was skeptical, but a Dell engineer confirmed that Dell had redesigned the palmrest and that it would now correct the problem. I had palmrest #3 installed by Dell over 1 year ago and the problem is absolutely and completely gone.

A replacement palmrest will fix your problem, but get it from Dell and not from the street because I'm sure there are alot of the old defective palmrests still floating around. (Note that the touchpad and lower mouse buttons are an integral part of the palmrest).

hmmm i might try this but can i go back to dell driver if it doesnt work?

im anxious cause this simple problem can cause me to jump out of a window...

No Events found!