Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2017 06:00

Precision M6800 USB 3.0 Speed Drop since BIOS A19

Machine specs:
Dell Precision M6800
Windows 7 Pro x64
All drivers updated.

I recently upgraded my machine's bios to A19 (i was notified), and since then, my usb ports became USB2 all of them... I can't enjoy the full speed of USB 3 anymore and I can't find the cause... i tried all solutions available on internet.

I would like to know if anyone else encountered same issue and if there is a workaround.

Thank you very much.

9.4K Posts

June 27th, 2017 08:00

http://dell.to/2udRbWK

Click on BIOS, then Other Versions, and select from there:

20 Posts

June 27th, 2017 10:00

Problem solved!

Was NOT the BIOS, but the USB 3.0 Drivers. Those drivers were installed already and worked well for all the time until recently. I don't know if is possible that the BIOS update confused windows in not recognizing the ports as USB 3 anymore, but once I reinstalled the drivers, things went back to normal.

I never thought of this until now, because the drivers were supposed to be installed already.

Thank you for all support and quick responses!

20 Posts

June 27th, 2017 07:00

The notification I am speaking of was given by Dell Precision Optimizer scan. And the update was flagged Critical, so I updated... Now I am in a bit of a problem, because my USB goes only to 12-12MB/s (all 4 of them, tested).

I guess, the best would be to try a downgrade... but I don't know where to find the previous BIOS version... any help would be appreciated (a download link). Thanks.

9.4K Posts

June 27th, 2017 07:00

Hi derei,

Thanks for posting.

I've checked the internal announcements, and haven't seen that notification you're speaking of.  Were you having problems with your M6800 prior to changing the BIOS?

According to the information for this version, it was to fix a problem with the Dell Precision Optimizer. http://dell.to/2udNoc1

I see no suggested workarounds in my internal tools, so apparently there's not that many people calling in having the issue you've described.  

20 Posts

June 27th, 2017 08:00

Thanks, Much appreciated!

I've been there, but just couldn't see the Other Versions dropdown :)) I feel so silly now.

I'll come back to confirm if downgrading solved the problem or not.

No Events found!