Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2017 02:00

Precision m2800 freezes after graphics drivers update

Hello, I have a Dell precision m2800 with AMD Firepro W4170M.

I recently installed an SSD drive and did a clean install of Windows 10. After installing all the drivers i tried to upgrade the AMD drivers from AMDs site, choosing the latest drivers for my card!
Every driver that i tried to install after the 15.301.2601.1004, just freezes the system and the only way to restore is via restore points of windows!
The odd thing is that on my previous windows installation i was able to install the drivers but the card ws recognized as RADEON HD 8790M but at least i had the latest drivers!

Is there a solution please?

9.4K Posts

December 6th, 2017 05:00

Hi vanzelvoul,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your system is not running as you expected.

Your post does not state what happens when you use the Dell video driver for this system.  Please load the Dell Driver and post back your results so the experts here can assist further,.  Thanks.

This package provides the AMD FirePro W4170M Graphics Driver supported on Mobile Precision Workstations M2800 running the following Operating Systems: Windows 10.

2 Posts

December 6th, 2017 08:00

Hi Robert and thnk you!

I am curently running 15.301.2601.1004 drivers with no problems! But i cant understand why cant we use new amd drivers?

9.4K Posts

December 11th, 2017 06:00

You can use the new AMD drivers, however they cause the issues you posted.  The drivers on our site have been formulated to work exclusively with our machines by AMD and Dell, so they sometimes are a bit different than the ones posted on the manufacturer's website.

No Events found!