Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2010 09:00

Problem installing Epson Printer to win 7 pc

After an hour on the phone with Epson I was informed to get in touch with Dell which doesn't seem possible by phone.  I have a Dell Inspirion one with Win 7 OS and trying to install an  Epson NX415 printer.  When I connect the usb cord I see the message that it is not recognized or has malfunctioned.  Everything is brand new out of the box including the usb cord.  The scanner has installed but I need the printer installed also.  When I try to install the printer driver from the Epson site I get the message that it cannot be installed.   What is the use spending a lot of good money on this stuff when it's not going to work?  So far I have spent a whole day on this.  I connected my camera with no problem.   Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to do?  Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 25th, 2010 10:00

First it's NOT a Dell or Microsoft problem.  That theory would be like saying you bought some aftermarket part for a car and the aftermarket part doesn't work or work properly - it's not your car manufacturers fault it's the aftermarket part manufacturers problem.

Back to the Epson.  You MUST first install the Epson software and ONLY connect the device when the install program tells you.  If you connect the device first either the install will fail or Windows will install an incorrect driver.

I use Epson's (I have an all in one and a printer, both have CD/DVD printing capabiities and the reason I have them). 

I notice there are separate Windows 7 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit drivers on the Epson downloads  HERE     You need the correct drivers for whichever version of Windows 7 you have (32 or 64 bit).  It looks like the Drivers and Utilities combo package download is what you need (I don't know if that contains the scanner software, there is a separate download for that if it does not).

The best suggestion is to use the System Restore function and restore the PC back to a date PRIOR to first attempting to install the unit.  That will give you a "clean" start.  Install the applicable Epson drivers (32 or 64 bit) and then ONLY when the install program tells you then physically connect the unit. 

System Restore can be accessed from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools. 

No Events found!