Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2010 06:00

Problem "grid" on hd-ready monitor in XPS15 L501x

I’m having big problems on my dell xps 15 L501x with 15.6 High Definition WLED TL (1366x768) 720p.

The laptop arrived 12 november 2010. The monitor of the laptop had bad image quality: in a uniform blue background I could see the different brightness of the vertical lines of pixel:a uniform blue background results in alternates lines dark blue and light blue.

The 17 of November a technician came to change the monitor. The new monitor had a similar defect. In the second monitor I could see a “grid”(matrix) of pixel of different brightness in comparison to the adiacent ones(with uniform colour background) In addition the second monitor had ONE bad (bright) pixel.The technician agreed that the defect was still there (plus the bad pixel)

The 18 of November the same technician came with a new monitor, motherboard and flat cable. The third monitor had the same “grid” defect of the second one plus TWO bad pixel (wihite dots on black background) The technician told me that the pixel defect was not covered by the warranty. Fortunately I was able to find before the technician left that xps line have zero pixel warranty. The technician told me that he will return for a third time to change again monitor motherboard and flat cable to fix both the grid defect and the bad pixel defect.

On 20 november I was contacted by phone form dell italy and they told me that the repair had to delay until DELL form Vien told them how to fix the grid problem. Since I was not contacted anymore I called on 2 November and they told me that the grid problem is not a production defect but is an Engineering defect, a design defect of the hd ready version and that DELL haven’t found a solution yet. They told me that full-hd monitor version don’t have the grid problem, I asked them to fix my laptop with the full-hd monitor but they told me that they can’t supply full-hd monitor since I ordered the hd-ready monitor.. but they can’t fix the laptop with an hd-ready monitor either because the grid defect wil remain anyway. I’m still waiting for a solution and still not using my laptop after a month from the delivery.

I would like to have info for the solution of this problem. Thank you and forgive me for my English.

Best Regard

December 29th, 2010 06:00

Hello,

I'm Italian too, I'm going to write in english.

I had the same problem..just today! My XPS was delivered and at first boot I've noticed the backend white grid. After a call and an email containing some pics of the monitor, They told me that monitor is made in that way, without any mention about wrong engineering design or something similar..

Did they tell you that Full-HD has o't at all this issue?

I've just called commercial support for the recession... on 31 Dec They will bring back the xps 15 and then I will decide whether buy an xps with Full-HD monitor or not... I think that this is the only possible solution..

Best regard

Filadelfo

131 Posts

December 30th, 2010 14:00

I do not think this is a flaw in your display. I have a feeling Dell has just chosen sub-par quality displays. I have a brand new XPS 17 with the 1600x900 screen and I, too, can see a grid around the pixels. I am very annoyed by this. I haven't seen this on a laptop screen, ever. I've only seen this on Plasma televisions.

If you check the Hardware ID for your Monitor (in the hardware manager of Windows), does it start with AUO? Apparently AUO used to be ASUS' choice of monitor manufacturer but were dropped for making sub-par quality products.

December 31st, 2010 00:00

Hello, I've good news!

Unfortunately I've already delivered xps15 for the recession but Dell Technical Support Center called me this morning. They told me after many more reporting, It was decided to substitute actual lcd panel with a better samsung lcd panel. The guy would like to proceed with a substituion on my laptop but it was too late 'cause the recession. I asked him if  this change has to be specified for a new online configuration then He says that We can proceed exactly in the same way, without any modification or different preference on selection panels.

Best regards and happy new year

Ciao

Filadelfo

131 Posts

January 19th, 2011 09:00

Hi again,

After calling technical support Dell has offered to replace my AUO panel with a Samsung (LG was another option) of the same resolution (1600x900) on my XPS 17 L701X. 

I was supposed to have the panel replaced today however the technician arrived without the panel. The part has not arrived at either the Technicians location or mine. I was told that it would arrive at the technician's location within 2 business days and then he would come. The technician claims he was told that it was supposed to arrive at MY location within 1 business day. I noticed in an email that the part says estimated arrival date, 24ths of Jan (I called on the 15th). So I will have to call and see what is really going on.

Once I get the Samsung panel I will post to let everyone know how it is in comparison to the AUO with the grid (screen-door effect) issue.

January 21st, 2011 06:00

Good news Sirs,

My laptop is back! I haven't yet seen it, but my roomate started-up it and "seems there isn't any back grid problem" ! Hope that's the truth... I let you know later If I will encounter any issue.

Best regards

Filo 

January 22nd, 2011 10:00

Now I can confirm: no one problem with Monitor :)

Ciao ciao

131 Posts

February 4th, 2011 19:00

I'm glad that you found resolution in your LCD replacement. I have not been as lucky.

My replacement LCD never arrived at my location or the technicians. I have called Dell and they are sending again. However, this time they tell me that the Samsung panel is possibly not the same resolution (1600x900) as my current screen, so they do not advise sending one. They claim there are no other model 1600x900 panels. They see that the LG and Samsung parts are "HD" and my current part is "HD+", and the 1080 panel is "FHD". Because of the naming convention they "think" that the Samsung panel is of lower resolution than my current one, but they are sending it anyway. If it turns out to be lower resolution then I have the option of having it sent back, and keeping my current screen.

I will post again once the new screen arrives.

No Events found!