Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 3rd, 2010 10:00

Problem: video driver restarts; system: Latitude E6510, i7-720, FHD (1920x1080 display), 3100M, Win7Pro x64,

Gentle folk,

I recently purchased an E6510 with Nvidia 3100M graphics hardware.

Unfortunately, its video display occasionally goes black and then recovers.Windows generates a popup saying that it had to restart the display driver. This usually happens once every few days, but happened twice this morning.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Laptop details: Latitude E6510, i7-720, FHD (1920x1080 display), 3100M, Win7Pro x64.

I've updated the Nvidia graphics driver several times, most recently to v 8.17.12.5896 (aka 258.96), but the symptoms have been unchanged.

67 Posts

September 3rd, 2010 15:00

The system event log reports that nvlddmkm stopped, with an event id of 4101.

A series of web searches finally let me to a thread on notebookreview.com which seemed to indicate the problem might be related to the graphics chipset going into "powermizer" mode (although I see the problem when the system is using AC power -- powermizer supposedly is disabled then). At any rate, I've entered the registry settings which supposedly disable powermizer mode entirely. Now to see if that actually helps....

s.

67 Posts

September 7th, 2010 09:00

So far, nothing has helped. I still see intermittent display glitches -- error id 4101, nvlddmkm stopped.

I've updated the driver to the most recent version from Nvidia (including cleaning the registry after deinstalling the previous copy), disabled the powermizer,  and set IRQ8 (cmos/clock) to priority 1 and IRQ16 (nvidia graphics & audio, and some other stuff) to priority 2 -- none of these made any difference.

September 9th, 2010 09:00

I am having the exact same issue with my E6510. I have updated the BIOS and the Video Card driver to the latest available. Still have the problem. Works perfectly and then a few times a day it will freeze everything, including sound, and after what seems like a minute it will flicker and recover the screen and post a 4101 to the System Event Log. It passed the System Diagnostics tests on the System Board, BIOS,  Video, and Audio.

I have just sent an email to support. Not sure what to do. Please update this post if there is any progress.

Thanks,
Ben

September 9th, 2010 10:00

One more thing I noticed. Sometimes it freezes, flickers and recovers, and sometimes it just flickers and recovers without freezing.

67 Posts

September 9th, 2010 10:00

I've done all the "easy" software and firmware updates with no changes in the symptom, so the Unisys (Dell) field service engineer is replacing the motherboard even as I type (using my desktop computer ;) ). I didn't realize what a big deal it is -- dozens of tiny screws and many small subassemblies have to be carefully removed and reinstalled.

If this doesn't fix it, the next step will be a full reinstall of Win7 from scratch, but leaving out as many of Dell's add-on features as possible. :(

A rather detailed description of the issue (video driver hanging and having to be restarted) and the many possible things that can cause it, along with some possible remedies, is on the Nvidia forum. See

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800&hl=nvlddmkm

September 9th, 2010 14:00

Thanks for the info. I got off of the phone with Dell tech support and since I told them the System diag checked out, they are saying it is software. Did your system fail any diag tests? Thanks for your time.

67 Posts

September 9th, 2010 14:00

Except for my interactions with the Unisys tech, all of my contacts with Dell have been by email. primarily so that there would be no misunderstandings, but also because it's an annoying but not catastrophic problem, and I didn't think it warranted any urgency.

I saw no diagnostic failures, either, I then did all of the firmware and driver updates that they told me to do, but the problem persisted. The person at Dell then said to have the motherboard replaced. I subsequently tried a few other "obvious" software changes before actually having the board replaced, but none of them helped, either. Most recently, a couple of glitches happened at night when I left the system powered on but "idle". (I put idle in quotes because there are a surprising number of system services running, although they don't do much most of the time.)

There haven't been any glitches since the motherboard was replaced this morning, but it often has run several days without glitching, so that doesn't mean anything.

September 9th, 2010 15:00

I definitely think this is a hardware issue, and I am trying to push for a hardware replacement. Getting them to acknowledge that it could still be hardware even after it passes the diagnostics test is a little difficult, but hopefully they will swap my computer or the motherboard soon.  Please let me know if it glitches on you again with the new board installed. Much appreciated!

For now, I wait on hold.. :emotion-20:

67 Posts

September 10th, 2010 09:00

In my case, at least, it seems that replacing the motherboard did NOT help. Although it has not yet gone so far as the black-screen-video-driver restart, I am still seeing several-second-long pauses in screen updates when the cursor doesn't move and the clock's display freezes. I suspect it's only a matter of time before one of them is long enough to trigger an automatic video restart.

My next step will be a full reinstall of Win7 from scratch, omitting drivers and software for the features that I don't have or don't plan to ever use. I'm hoping to do that this afternoon.

*sigh*

Selden

September 10th, 2010 10:00

I hate to hear that, but I may need to think about my options. I keep an image backup, but that will image the problems too. I don't have time to reinstall all of my programs and adjust all the settings.. Maybe I can repair the Win7 files and go from there. I will try running in safe mode with networking to see if it acts up, but with no event logs showing anything I am doubtful. Seems like hardware, but who knows, I guess it's back to XP. Ha, only kidding.

I meant in addition to the 4101.

67 Posts

If you aren't getting any event log entries, then your problem is not the same as mine.

I'm getting entries both in the Reliability Monitor, which say there was a video hardware problem, and in the system event log, which say event id 4101.

s.

September 10th, 2010 14:00

I got A05 a while ago and I am still having the issues.

67 Posts

September 10th, 2010 14:00

I just discovered (while downloading drivers in preparation for a full Win7 install) that there's a new firmware release (A05). Although I suspect it's unlikely to help, that'll be my next step before the reinstall.

It looks like a major new feature in the firmware is Intel AntiTheft v2.0.24.

67 Posts

September 10th, 2010 16:00

Thanks. I've gone ahead and reinstalled Win7. It took about 35 minutes to do the base install. Then another 20 or so do do the O/S updates. I loaded only 3 non-MS drivers: Dell multi-touch touchpad (although I don't use that feature), Dell's download of the Intel WiFi driver and Nvidia's graphics and audio drivers (v258.96). I let everything else install with the defaults, but disabled Bluetooth and the Webcam. Windows Update installed the Intel ethernet driver. I'll be disabling that, too, for now.

I haven't installed any AV, yet... I'll probably just use MS Security Essentials for now. SEP 11 would be my other option.

I want to use some other login and runtime backdrop images, too. The default Win7 images are just too garish for me. Since I've blown-away Dell's install, I don't think I'll use Dell's  Latitude backgrounds, although I do like the way they look.

Of course, now there's all the software that I actually got the Laptop for...

*sigh*

s..

No Events found!