Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 28th, 2015 14:00

Problem while installing windows 7 with the usb in windows 8.1

Hi guys ,

i own an inspiron 7537 with windows 8.1 and Bios versionA13 and i want to install widows 7 using a bootable usb.

I have disabled the UEFI security boot and then i restart pressing F12 and choose the usb to start first

I get tha screen with the " Press any key to boot from Cd or DVD " and i press space bar .

Then it appears a screen " Start PXE over IPv4 " and after 30 seconds a screen " Start PXE over IPv6 ".

Finally it gets in the windows 8.1 again... so i cant install windows 7!

Has annyone any clew of what is going on ! i Have tried everything

Thanks in advance

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 3rd, 2015 11:00

Hi,

Yes, Dell systems have not been tested for dual operating system boot. Also, you will not be able to enable both Legacy boot and UEFI on simultaneously.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 28th, 2015 22:00

Hi,

Please backup all data from the hard drive and then try the following steps. Please follow the steps mentioned below and then try reinstalling the operating system.

Boot into your Windows 7 install DVD

Select repair your computer, it will fail and then select the command prompt after a few windows.

Type into command prompt (NO QUOTES)

"diskpart" (enter)
"list disk" (enter)

find your HDD (in my case disk 0)

"select disk 0" (enter)
"clean" (enter)
"exit" (enter)

Please let me know if this helps.

4 Posts

October 29th, 2015 12:00

Thank you for your interest !

I am trying to dual boot windows 8.1 (UEFI) which are pre-installed and windows 7 (Legacy) , i called dell techical service and after 45 minutes of conversation with a superior techician, i believe , and he told me that i can't dual boot windows 8.1 and 7 . Is he right ? i mean why i can't do that as long as it is not a hardware problem ? 

I tried to install windows 7 via legacy boot option at the Usb started so i kept on with the custom installation and at the part where i have to choose a drive-partiotion(which i had already made) it doens't let me choose and i click on the partition and it says "Windows can not installed in that drive because is type GPT"

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

No Events found!