Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 30th, 2014 09:00

Problem whit audio m17x

Hi all.

I've buyed an Alienware m17x two years ago. In the last two weeks, often when my PC starts, the audio don't work. If I touch the symbol of audio that had a red cross, the pc says to me that aren't connected earphones or speaker (that are inclused in my pc). After a restart, often the problem disappears. 

Someone knows something to solve this problem? More important, is problably that in few mounth my audio will have more serious problem?

Thx for the patience

P.s. I'm sorry for my English, I try to do my best. Hope someone will understand me :)

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 07:00

Thanks for the answer.
Well, under the pc there is only "M17" but seeing some picture on internet, i can say that probably my pc is a M17r4... The problem is the same that the previous link illustates... I am not sure about the duration of my warranty (how long dell offers warranty inclused in price?), but I remember that it was for two years, so i'm out of that period.
In two years of using, the problem never happens, so i will wait to see how often it happens and after I try to do something.
More important is if the problem become definitive and I will not be able to listen something for ever (someone know something about this situation?), because i'm an universitary student, so i spent all my savings for my M17 and I hope it will resist years and years :)

Thanks for the patience and the avalaibility

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 2nd, 2014 09:00

If the problem persists, try posting on the Alienware Club board and ask if there is any free out-of-warranty support for this issue, as it is a known defect (if you have the m17xR4).

If your audio fails but the rest of the computer is okay, google for "usb audio jack". You can pick one up for a few $ and get audio that way.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 2nd, 2014 09:00

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 2nd, 2014 05:00

Alienware m17x two years ago

Hello. Your English is fine, but I am wondering if "m17x" is the EXACT model name of your laptop, because that model was sold 5 years ago. Two years ago in 2012 Dell was selling the m17xR4 model. The reason the exact model name makes a difference is because there is a known issue with the m17xR4 model where the audio "disappears" and you get the red x, and the audio usually comes back upon restarting.

The solution for that issue (on the m17xR4 model) is to first update the BIOS and the audio driver, and if that has no effect then to have Dell repair the laptop if it is still under warranty. In other words if trying the BIOS and audio driver does nothing then it is a hardware failure, and yes it could get worse over time..

Here is Dell's article about the issue on the m17xR4.

If your model is really the m17x, there is not a "known issue" about it, but it could be the same thing. If updating the BIOS and the audio driver does not fix it, then I suggest performing a full system recovery (return the laptop to the factory configuration) and if even that does not fix it then it is definitely hardware failure and it would probably require replacing the mother board to fix it.

No Events found!