Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2013 05:00

Problem with USB 3 hub on Inspiron 15R

My lnspiron 15R is basically a replacement for my desktop unit.  I have mouse, keyboard, printer and external drive attached to the USB ports.  That leaves no USB ports free for flash drive, etc.

I tried a Toshiba Dynadock 3.0 which connects to a USB 3.0 port.  I connected the 4 USB devices to the Dynadock.   It worked for a while until it went into hibernation.  Then I couldn't restart the computer until I disconnected the Dynadock.  After that everytime I tried to reboot the computer I would get past the "Starting Windows" screen and stare at a blank black screen until I would disconnect the Dynadock.

Thinking it was a problem with the Dynadock, I returned it.  I then bought a USB 3.0 hub. It worked fine for a little while until I tried to reboot. Again I was faced with a blank black screen until I disconnected the hub.  After rebooting and plugging in the hub nothing on the hub worked.

Yesterday I spent 4 hours chatting on line with Dell Support.  They tried several different things but in the end the problem still persists.  Don't get me wrong, the support people were trying their best and I appreciate their efforts.

There are two USB 2.0 ports and two USB 3.0 ports.  If I open Device Manager and examine the ports I can see when something is connected to the USB 2.0 ports but when I connect to the USB 3.0 ports I don't see any changes.

If any one has had similar problem and been able to resolve, please let me know.  Thanks in advance.

7 Posts

January 6th, 2013 11:00

So, a little more research and here's what i've found.  I can plug the mouse, keyboard and printer into the hub and things work fine.  The external drive is a Seagate FreeAgent 1TB. I thought, things are working so don't plug the drive into the hub just plug it into one of the ports on the laptop.  Wrong.  Although the computer will boot okay, nothing works on the hub works and I can't shutdown until I unplug the hub.

7 Posts

January 13th, 2013 14:00

So, some more fiddling and I have finally determined it must be Dell's implimentation of USB 3.0 on the Inspiron.  If I connect the USB 3.0 hub to a USB 2.0 port everything including the Seagate drive works.

No Events found!