Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2009 01:00

Processor Families: Pentium Dual Core and Core Duo

Dear forum users,

I purchased my Dell E1705 around 2 years ago with a Core Duo technology (note that it is not Core 2 Duo). Certainly, Core Duo was eliminated from the mobile market and Core 2 Duo is currently being sold. Recently I noticed that Pentium Dual Core processors became an option. Would anyone please be able to tell me, what is the difference between Core Duo and Pentium Dual Core? My processor is 1.86 GHz T2350, I believe codename Yonah. It appears Pentium Dual Core is also based on Yonah. And could you also tell me how the two compare in terms of performance? (Of course, if we compare two processors of similar clock speeds)

Thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 14th, 2009 05:00

The Pentium Dual Core is an older core, designed as a budget CPU vs. the Core 2 Duo.  They slot between the low-end Celeron and high end Core 2.

Note:  your system uses the older socket M design, so you CANNOT use all the Pentium Dual Core (nor any of the current Core 2 Duo) CPUs.

133 Posts

July 15th, 2009 17:00

The Pentium Dual Core is an older core, designed as a budget CPU vs. the Core 2 Duo.  They slot between the low-end Celeron and high end Core 2.

Note:  your system uses the older socket M design, so you CANNOT use all the Pentium Dual Core (nor any of the current Core 2 Duo) CPUs.

So tell me, though, since both Core 2 Duo and Pentium Dual Core use newer socket (I believe Socket P) as compared to old Socket M of Core Duo, would a Pentium Dual Core be considered superior to Core Duo processors of the same clock speed? (Once again, note that I am specifically referring to a first generation of Core technology - Core Duo - not the new Core 2 Duo) The major difference I noticed between a 2-year-old Core Duo and today's Pentium Dual Cores is that Core Duo has at least twice as much L2 cache. If we compared the same clock speed processors (Core Duo vs Pentium Dual Core) on a basis of a 32-bit applications (since Core Duo is an x86 processor), which one would end up being more powerful? Thanks!

43 Posts

July 16th, 2009 11:00

The Pentium Dual Core is basically a gimped Core 2 Duo, usually with slower front side bus or less L2 cache.

No Events found!