Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2014 17:00

Question about XPS 15 L502X BIOS

Hey guys,

I'm an owner of a XPS 15 L502X from early 2011. Great product minus some little things here and there...

So I recently decided to restore my win 7 because of some problems I had.

The thing is I went to the Dell driver page for my laptop and I have two choices for the BIOS and I have no idea what version I should download.

I currently have BIOS A12 but the A06 is also avaible for download.

There is something about the dates of each BIOS version that I don't understand..

Version A12 was released on 26 Oct 2012 and Last Updated on 12 Dec 2013

as version A06 was released on 28 Jul 2011 but Last Updated on 05 Mar 2014.

Am I wrong if I think that A06 update is more recent so this BIOS version should be the latest right?

But when I download the A06 version I get a message that a more recent BIOS is installed on my computer and that Dell doesn't suggest flashing the A06.

What am I suppose to do here?

Thanks guys

2 Posts

November 7th, 2014 09:00

Ok thanks jimco

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 6th, 2014 20:00

Hello. That "Last Updated" datum is a relatively new thing we are seeing, but it does not seem to convey anything useful. You can look at drivers that have not changed in 10 years but will have a recent  "Last Updated" date mysteriously appended to it.

"Last Updated" makes even less sense when appended to a BIOS, because whenever a BIOS version is updated it is given a new version number and release date, so "Last Updated" is meaningless as far as I can tell. I just ignore it and look to the release date which I think is more relevant.

Also the BIOS version numbers are chronological, so A12 is newer than A06 for example.

BTW you can see all of the available BIOS releases plus every available driver for the XPS L502x on this page.

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/xps-l502x.html

January 6th, 2017 22:00

Mine is still old unupdated A06 2011, should i go for an upgrade to A12 2012 once

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 7th, 2017 03:00

Mine is still old unupdated A06 2011, should i go for an upgrade to A12 2012 once

When you look at the list of all the available BIOS versions, click on "More details". That will take you to thew details page for that particular version. Most pages have "Instructions" that will inform you if a particular earlier version is a prerequisite.

Remember that if the laptop is no longer under warranty, and if performing the BIOS update goes wrong somehow and bricks the laptop, Dell will not fix it unless you were told to update the BIOS by a Dell employee.

January 8th, 2017 04:00

I somehow took the risk of flashing directly to A12, and it seems good.

8 Posts

December 15th, 2017 12:00

My DELL L502x is approx. 5 years old and came with Bios v. A10. Today I used DELL SupportAssist and downloaded and installed A12 without any issues. Easy to do and took less than 10 minutes. BTW. I run Windows 10 Pro and it is up to date with the latest Windows Creator Edition (v. 1703).

No Events found!