Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2013 08:00

RAM UPGRADE, DELL M6300

Hi everyone, Im currently running XP on my Dell m6300, and found myself displeased with the speed of the general system (boot, within the OS itself, to start up program, etc) and thinking on a RAM upgrade. Allthough i find myself confuse. My ram sticks, now,are of DDR2 type. Does that mean that i cannot use but DDR2 RAM sticks? If so, its true that DDR2 max RAM capability are of 2gb. I've read post from guys that upgrade their m6300 up to 8 GB, and i would like to know whether i can doe the same. Thanks in advance.

ps: does anyone has tested the m6300 on win 7 64 bits? Theres only 1 post in the hole forum about it, and not with many detail, unfortanely. If someone has, please let me know.

Thanks in advance, 

DELL M6300 SPECS:

CORE 2 DUO T9300 2.50 GHZ

2046 RAM

512 NVIDIA FX3600 

BIOS VERSION  1.10 A08

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 12th, 2013 23:00

Hello Alarion,

Dell Precision M6300 supports maximum of 8 GB memory. Please click here for more details. But it also depends upon the Operating System installed. How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found here.

Dell Precision M6300 was shipped only with Windows XP and Vista. Hence the drivers for Windows 7 are unavailable on the support site. However, if your computer meets the system requirements for Windows 7, you may go ahead and install it. Windows 7 has the capability of installing the generic drivers but for few drivers you would have to look into the manufacturer website of the hardware component. You may also try the Windows Updates to install the generic drivers. 

Please write back if you have any further questions. 

2 Posts

May 8th, 2015 15:00

I am having a problems similar in nature.  I have a Dell M6300 laptop with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit installed and 8 GB of RAM.  The Bios is seeing 8 GB of Ram but Windows 7 is only seeing 4 GB of RAM.  Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to successfully allow Windows 7 Professional 64-bit to see and utilize the maximum amount of RAM.  Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 8th, 2015 15:00

Are you certain it's a 64-bit copy of Windows?

2 Posts

May 8th, 2015 17:00

Yes I am positive it is Windows 7 64-bit. It was recently installed and verified on the software and after the install. Any suggestions?

No Events found!