Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2015 21:00

Real Life 2015 XPS 13 Battery Stats

I have a 2015 i5 FHD XPS 13. One of the main reasons I bought this unit (especially the FHD model) was because it boasted such great battery life. Is anyone having an issue? I have been doing some testing and with the screen at the lowest brightness I ran a movie on Netflix for 2 hours and the battery dropped from 100 to 60 which seems like 20% an hour so about 5 hours of video playback. Is this normal? Also, when I am just browsing around on the web that is supposed to net about 12 hours of battery. The battery meter constantly jumps back and forth between like 12 hours remaining and 4 hours remaining. Then 10 hours remaining and 3 hours remaining etc... I guess it does that based on how much the CPU is going while browsing? I haven't used the unit to empty yet, but it doesn't seem that it will get anywhere close to 12 hours of web browsing. This is with both units I have. Am I missing something?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 17th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

Battery is a consumable product and the life of a battery depends upon the usage. Also, when you are using graphic intense programs, (Example: Playing games, video editing, photo editing) the video card uses more power so the battery drains faster on the system.  Also the battery meter changes the time duration on the system depending upon the application usage at that time on the system. 

7 Posts

November 10th, 2015 22:00

Hi Ravi,

I'm having the same issues, especially after updating to windows 10. 

my usage is limited and not very battery consuming, but after updating to windows 10, I noticed that the maximum I can get from the battery is 6 ~ 7 hours  as against 14 hrs previously. 

My system is just a few months old and the only reason i bought it is because of its battery life.

Kindly advise.

regards

4 Posts

December 25th, 2015 15:00

So you are saying that running my screen at 50% and only doing some browsing I should get the full advertised 18 hours of battery...?  Right?  So why am I only getting 5 hours.

4 Posts

December 25th, 2015 15:00

I am only getting about 5 hours doing simple email and browsing.  16g/1tb 7i touch.  Dell should be ashamed and correct their advertsing.

13 Posts

December 26th, 2015 09:00

I have a non-touch i5 and I ALWAYS keep my display at the lowest setting, keyboard glow off usually, do light browsing and get approx the same amount of time as you. I don't how anything even close to 12 hours is even remotely possible.

7 Posts

December 26th, 2015 17:00

Hi,

I tried the followiny and got just a little bit of extra time.

I think the bug is in the earlier versions of the bios.

Try updating the bios. After that, turn of the system and when restarting go into bios setting by pressing F2 when syatem turns on. Select the " Load factory default" and exit. System will reboot and then see if you get any better battery time.

Secondly, Request for a battery replacement.

Update to latest windows 10 release.

Turn of geo location in the apps settings.

However, I agree that Dell should not advertise the 18 hrs becos, even with the above settings, it would never give you the 18 hrs.

Maximum time I have gotten is 7 hrs. That too with just email in browser and excel usage.

No Events found!