Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2011 06:00

Realteck High Definition Audio is not plugged in

I can't seem to get my Realtek High Definition Audio to work.

It always says that it is not plugged in from you sound proerties. I am assuming this refers to my S/PDIF Jack on my laptop (XPS L502+win7)?

I have tried plugging in a Coax Cable as well as a toslink optical cable, but it continues to say not plugged in.

I have read my manual and I not 100% sure whether this Audio jack also doubles as an optical Jack, but it appears so. 

Either way what I am trying to do, without success, is connect to my home theater system which is both compatable with Optical as well as multichannel coax.

Any help will be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you.

I have attached screen caps for more clarity.

This is the cable optical cable I am using:

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2011 07:00

I don't have a model with that jack. All I can tell you is that the type of spdif is toslink (optical) and I "think" you have to use a mini-toslink cable or adapter, not a standard one.

I'm not sure but "digital not plugged in" might also refer to no HDMI cable being plugged in, as the audio on that is also digital.

6 Posts

September 3rd, 2011 13:00

Hi Jim,

Thanks,

Yes, I am using the mini-toslink cable adapter, which plugs into an earphone jack type opening and not the standard optical cable. On the other end that plugs into the home theater system is standard.

Also, I do not think it is has to do with the HDMI port. When I plug in the HDMI, I get an additional Audio device. In this case my Sony TV. Even with the HDMI plugged in, the High Def Audio device still shows not plugged in.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2011 15:00

Sorry but I don't have anything on this. Have you tried shutting down the laptop, connect the cable, turn on the receiver theater and then boot up?

No Events found!