Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 11th, 2012 08:00

Recommended headset with microphone to use with Dell e6420 combo jack port

Hi

I have a Dell e6420 laptop and would like to use a headset with microphone which would be connected to the PC using the combo jack.

I have currently a Logitech USB headset, but I found it too big when I'm travelling.

I would prefer to use a headset as for smartphones.

I already tried the one delivered a Samsung Galaxy S and the one delivered with a Blackberry 9300 Curve, and none is working correctly (either bad sound quality or the microphone is not working)

Is there anybody who is already using such a headset without any problem? 

I had a look at the dell website for a recommended headset, but there's no information about that.

last precision: I don't want to use a jack splitter, as I want to carry the less things possible.

Thanks in advance

Marc

• 

3.3K Posts

October 11th, 2012 21:00

Hi MarcS4,

I suggest you to connect the headphone of Samsung Galaxy S or Blackberry 9300 curve directly to the audio jack on the system. Do not use the combo jack. In case the audio is clear, I suspect the issue could be with the combo jack. 

You can try updating the audio drivers. 

Click on the below link to download the audio drivers.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/latitude-e6420 

Select the system’s ‘Operating system’ from the drop down list.  Click on ‘Audio’ and click on ‘Download file’ to complete the installation.  

In case it does not work, you may have to change the combo jack. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks and Regards,
Sujatha K
#iworkfordell

3 Posts

October 12th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

sorry but there's only an audio combo-jack and no audio jack.

Regards,

Marc

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 12th, 2012 07:00

Marc, the questions about the combo jack so far have been from people who do not know what it is and have needed some explanation that it is a Smart Phone type jack. As you noticed Dell provides no info about the jack and the Dell support people don't seem to know much about it. No one has previously mentioned any problem with using the jack after they got the correct headset. If your headset works with other computers or phones, I can't think of any reason that it would not work with your laptop except for a configuration problem or bad jack as Sujatha K said.

3 Posts

October 12th, 2012 08:00

Jim,

As I tried 2 different headsets with different resulting symptoms, I thought that not every headset with a microphone could be used.

but you may be right: it could be the combo port of the computer that has a problem.

thanks for your answer

Marc

• 

3.3K Posts

October 15th, 2012 04:00

Hi MarcS4,

Please check if it is possible to test this headset with microphone on another Dell e6420 laptop.

Thanks and Regards,
Sujatha K
#iworkfordell

1 Message

November 8th, 2012 00:00

Hi MarcS4, (and other with headset problems)

I had a similar problem by getting my smartphone headset working in the DELL Latitude E6420.

The headset is from a Nokia phone and I use the Nokia headset in my new Iphone 5 without any problems. But when using the Nokia headset in my DELL PC the quality of the sound was like "Donald Duck" and the microphone didnt work.

During the testing I found out that when extracting the Nokia jack 1-2 mm it worked OK.

After that I tested the DELL PC, together with the headset which came along with my IPhone, and the Iphone headset worked perfectly with the DELL PC.

Seems that the female-audiojack in the DELL PC is more sensible than the one in my Iphone.

As seen on the picture below the Nokia jack (the upper one) is slightly longer that the Iphone jack shown below.

Hope the above can save some trouble shooting time for others. 

KR. John DK

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 8th, 2012 03:00

KR John DK, thanks for the excellent info.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 6th, 2013 09:00

You would ask for a "smart phone" type of headset. It has a single 4 segmented plug instead of two 3 segmented plugs. I would take the laptop along and test it before purchasing.

Also you can use a regular 2 plug headset like you have by using a Headset Buddy adapter. Below is a shot of it:

There is another Headset Buddy adapter that looks similar but is the wrong kind, in the shot below.

March 6th, 2013 09:00

I have an "el cheapo" behind the head headset that I'd like to use with the office's Latitude E6420.

The problem is the headset has two plugs, one for the microphone and another one for the speakers.

Does any one here know what adapter should I ask for at the electronics store for this to work?

March 6th, 2013 12:00

Jim,

You're indeed a rock star, thanks so much on the prompt reply.

2 Posts

February 26th, 2014 10:00

Where can I buy one of these because I have a dell inspiron 3521 and I'm despretly in need of one cuz I just bought a turtle beach x12 headset and I cant find any of these adapters in romania I guess so I have to buy it online please someone help me with a link or something....

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 26th, 2014 11:00

I cant find any of these adapters in romania I guess so I have to buy it online

Hello. This is the company that sells the Headset Buddy in the USA.

http://www.headsetbuddy.com/pc-computer-headset-to-3-5mm-smartphone-adapter/

This is it at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Headset-Buddy-Adapter-Smartphone-01-PH35-PC35/dp/B00332DPDG

There is a similar product sold in England:
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/30974635/-/Product.html

If those links don't help then try googling for smart phone adapters. Also look at ebay -- it has a number of international sellers for the adapter that will ship anywhere.

No Events found!