Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

P

70 Posts

January 10th, 2009 04:00

Recovery Partition on Inspiron 1721 Hidin or Not?

I've got most likely a FOOLISH question, but am VERY Curious about something.

I know there is a hidin Diganostic partition on the drive.

But I've got a Drive C:/ which is my OS Drive, and a Drive D:/ which is marked Recivery.

My question is this is Drive D:/ the partition that is used when I would go back to Restore my Inspiron 1721 to Factory Condition?

Or is that particular Partition Hidin like the diganostic partition is?

Or is it used by Vista's System Restore?

If it is can it in anyway be Deleted or Formatted or changed in anyway? Mind you I don't want to do either I just want too know what the RISK may or may not be.

I noticed it's not kept Track of by Window's as far as BackUp Restores go like it is on Drive C:/.

On my Vostro 1000 I got about 6 months ago with XP Home on it had a hidin Restore Partition on it.

Any input I'd be Grateful....  :emotion-15:

315 Posts

January 10th, 2009 12:00

;^) If one uses a GPartEd live CD, one can see all of the partitions on one's drives, whether hidden or not.  With GPartEd, one can copy, move and re-size partitions without erasing the data on them and so on.  I used it when upgrading my XPS M1210 to a larger drive, for example.

I noticed two hidden partitions, and was careful to copy them too. So, the recovery partition and Media Direct partition still work for me.

:^/ To put your concerns to rest, the hidden partitions are hidden from Windows®, and so you will not see them in your normal usage while Windows® is running.

[Edit]

;^) By the way, there are no foolish questions, so don't worry about that here.

70 Posts

January 10th, 2009 23:00

;^) If one uses a GPartEd live CD, one can see all of the partitions on one's drives, whether hidden or not.  With GPartEd, one can copy, move and re-size partitions without erasing the data on them and so on.  I used it when upgrading my XPS M1210 to a larger drive, for example.

I noticed two hidden partitions, and was careful to copy them too. So,

the recovery partition and Media Direct partition still work for me.

:^/ To put your concerns to rest, the hidden partitions are hidden from Windows®, and so you will not see them in your normal usage while Windows® is running.

[Edit]

;^) By the way, there are no foolish questions, so don't worry about that here.

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm dwnld GPart Live now to check this out.

Then I take it that if my Recovery Partition is hidden then, along with Media Direct as welll as the Diagnostic partitions, there should be a total of (5) altogether showing when I run it?

I'll post back with the results once I've seen whats there.  :emotion-55:

{Edit} Well I seen a hidden partition for Media Direct and one for Dell Utility. With Fat 16 and Fat 32 file systems.

But no other one was hidden?

Makes NO SENCE to me to make a Recovery Partition visible on Drive D:/.

To much of a chance of it becoming corrupted or things added into it by accident or formatted if a person is not "VERY CAREFUL"!!!

Anyother ideas from anyone as to why it was done like this? Both drive C;? and D:/ were formatted as NTFS.   :emotion-43:

70 Posts

January 11th, 2009 19:00

Well here's something that's even Worse IMHO.

Went into tech data base, and one place said the Vista partition was hidden? :emotion-18:

And another said it was Drive D:/ and would be marked as "RECOVERY" quote unquote it's not reccommended you mess with it? :emotion-40:

I could've told them that, Anyway I checked properties and it of coarse allows Admin rights, This I understand as needed for restore....

With different varations accross the board for the 3 other users.

Once again IMHO if anyone can access it, even the system it has the chance to become corrupted!

That was the whole Idea of it being hidden?

My whole point is this: If it is out in the open no matter how slight of a chance it might be, It can get Corupted then where We at?

I'm keeping my feathers Numbered though I'm making me a Back Up onto DVD tonight of Drive D:/ on th odd chance it might be needed.

Chances are in someway shape or form if worse comes to worse I'll still be able to Copy the Good files back unto Drive D:/ and keep my System Restore in tact.... :emotion-5:

70 Posts

January 11th, 2009 23:00

Correct that last bit.

I went to back D:/RECOVERY up and it wouldn't let me...... :emotion-12:

Now to reinterate my problem with this way of doing it.

I noticed my Anti-Virus Scanning Drive D:/, So if it's not vunerable to attack why is my Anti-Virus picking it up?

Most would tell me just don't allow it to scan it, Well my Anti-Virus scans all or nothing in a auto scan.

No Events found!