Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 14th, 2016 06:00

Restart hangs with blinking hard drive led.

My Latitude E6430 was updated from win7pro to win10pro - no BOIS settings were changed. It has 8 GB of ram inspected, reseated and tested. It hangs with a blinking hard drive led that requires pressing the power button to complete on any restart. No problems booting from power button or shutdown.

I tried to install suggested updates for the Network and Chipset on the support site, locally and in safe mode - Say they install but not to the most current.  The current BIOS A16 won't update to the current A18 or A17. Could it be that pressing the power button on restart clears the bios and driver updates?

Thank you your time to review this, my first post.

4 Posts

September 21st, 2016 15:00

Further investigation found loose screws on the processor heat sink - tightened then disconnected intel wifi module and reseated the display plug right next to it. With HDD and CD/DVD and WIFI removed I booted to Linux Kali on USB and got suspend and restart to work.  Put everything back together and restart works! Updated BIOS to A18.  Thanks for nothing... Not an exact answer to the cause. Hope this helps someone else.

4 Posts

September 15th, 2016 21:00

Upon further investigation the indicator leds are blinking solid solid. This pattern reflects a processor error.  The event log shows a permission setting not granting Local Activation permission for the com server application with CLSID. Also states it can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool. Could this be just a driver issue?

4 Posts

September 21st, 2016 14:00

More testing with the same results in clean install of win 10. Sleep is shutting the computer completely  off and Linux Kali booted on a USB shuts off computer on restart. Disconnected connected cmos battery to reset the bios with same result. Removed backup battery that ePSA test says is at 56% health with no change. Any suggestions? Next step take out removable hardware or just live with it.

No Events found!